1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would you guys buy a 6.0 0r 6.4?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by OhioPlower, May 3, 2011.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Im still dumptruck hunting. Found a 05 F550 and a 08 F350, both diesel 4 wheel drives. The 08 is a early 08 job 1 or 2 build. I was wanting a 550 sized truck but a 350 would probably do alright for now. Both are clean low miles 9ft dump beds. I think I could get the 05 for 3-4 grand less than the 08. Which one would you guys go with? If I got the 08 I could get the 7yr 200k mile extended engine warranty which would be nice

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

For 4 grand extra I would buy the 08. Just having the warranty would be piece of mind.

I have a nice 07 GMC. Thumbs Up

3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

haha I bet you do. I want a new 550 but I think a used 350 would do getting me back on my feet for now. Used 550s are expensive, especially used gm medium dutys

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

if you don't need the capacity of a 550 then go with the F350.

5. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Id be hauling dirt and gravel just as much as lighter stuff. So the more weight capacity the better. My gut instinct is telling me to stay away from 6.0s and early 08 6.4s

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Economic times are still bad as far as I'm concerned. You can get a better deal on a used truck compared to a new one. The biggest difference is you will usually get better financing on a new truck.

I bought a new truck in 2009 only because they gave me $17,500 off MSRP.

7. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

I would buy the 550 6.0. The engine is not that hard to work on.

8. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

dealers arent working much pricewise on new 550s. If it was a 06 or 07 6.0 id think a little more about that one

9. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Any one else? Found out today the 08 has the motor under warranty until oct 2013, which would be nice

10. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

An over worked 350 will need more repair than a lighter use 550.

11. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Thats true, I didnt look at it that way

12. Chipper

Chipper Member

I gave up looking for a nice 450 or 550 and bought a International 4700 cab and chassis. Found a really nice dump box off a over worked F-450 and put the two together. Truck has a GVW of 23400lbs. Which is under CDL, still has hydraulic brakes and really isn't any bigger than a F-350 super cab. NEVER have to worry about over loading because of the size of the truck vs size of box. If it fits it will haul it.... Very easy to work on with the flip up front end.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I found a decent deal on a 07 chevy 5500, thinking about getting it this week

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

definetly more truck i think than the F 550 what are the specs on it ?

15. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

2 wheel drive allison auto, I believe its a LMM motor, so thats 330hp, 19500 gvw, 4.88 gears, Its a regular cab with a 10ft dump bed, 10k miles

16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id go for the 550 with the 6.0, the 6.4 isnt any easier to work on than the 6.0 plus its got all the emissions.

17. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Im thinkin about going the GM route, cant beat the Dmax/Ally

18. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

go to your local ford dealer with the VIN and get an oasis report on the 6.0, see if its had warrenty work, pick up a scanguage from autozone for $150 and on the test drive see what the oil temp and coolant temps are (they are supposed to be within 15*), 6.0s with proper maintence are just as durable as a 7.3, synthetic oil every 5k with a ford oil filter, fuel filters every 10k, put a coolant filter on it and flush the cooling system with restore and restore plus and refill with an EC1 coolant. .6.4s need similar work, but without a DPF delete your not getting much better then 10mpg, in which i would rather just have a V10 as there cheaper to work on

By the way, all the newer trucks are having EGR issues, cummins has trans/diff problems, Dmax has injector issues and the allisons dont really like to be tuned to heavy. and the older 7.3s had their issues as well, worse case senario, take the 5k you save on the f550 put in headstuds/egr delete, reflash the computer with a mild SCT tune and you will have a bullitproof heavier duty truck

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  19. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

I have worked on quite a few GM 4500/5500 and found that they eat front axle kingpins( they are to small). Electricals problems seem to be the norm as well. Keep in mind that these trucks are no longer being produced so parts may be hard to get and expensive.

20. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

thanks for that info, I found a good deal on a F350 V10, gonna look at it this week. I figure itll get me by for now and ill get a 550 in a few years