1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would You Drive???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gatewayuser, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

How far do you guys drive if it snows somewhere other then where you live? I was thinking of going to KY or WV this weekend to plow because we are not going to get snow but they are going to get a lot. The problem would be getting work while there.
  2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I've never heard of driving to another STATE to go plowing. I wouldn't even drive out of my own TOWN for plowing(I can't drive yet, I plow with an ATV).
  3. mmtwin

mmtwin Member

I've driven from PA to Ma to plow many times. My brother always needs more drivers there. Sometimes rain here or near miss Mass gets the snow. So I say its not that crazy. 5 hours to drive
  4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Gateway--Why don't you see if any of the Kentucky folk:redbounce are hirering subs on the forum for the weekend!--I remember the big one in 78-- my dad hired some guys out of Albany--At least a six hour ride on a good day!!!!!!!!!! They worked about a week and a half doing snow removal nights!:bluebounc
  5. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I'd drive an hour or two
  6. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

2 hours maybe, and only if I knew I had work in the area.

If I had gaurenteed work then I might drive up to 4 hours. But it would have to be 20+ hours work.
  7. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Funny you started this. Just got off the phone with my brother up on Cape Cod Mass. He asked why I wasn't on my way up. He said he saw one forecast for over 12 inches. That is about a 13 hour drive in a car. I wonder how long with a plow on a truck?:) I would love for this to turn about 100 miles to the west and we would be getting some. '

8. Gatewayuser

It would take the same amount of time with a plow as a car, at least thats with my truck.
  9. snatchal

snatchal Member

One hour drive

It snows an average of once a week where I live, which gives me two days of plowing. 60 miles north of here along the Lake Superior shoreline it snows almost everyday. I have a friend up there with a lot of contracts that I can go sub for as often as I want. The only downside is a lot of wear & tear on the truck traveling at 60 miles an hour with the hubs locked and the Boss hanging on the front.
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If the return significantly exceeded the outlay, of course!payup
  11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldn't do it. if it's going to be nice at home, why not stay there and enjoy the weather, working outside doing what you normally do.
  12. Gatewayuser

Because I have no work to do until the middle of next week.
  13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you have no work till middle of next week: if you have payments to be made and can't make them, i'd go. if you have money in the bank, i'd take the weekend off, drink a few beers and have sex with my girlfriend. do what you gotta do to keep food on the table first.
  14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

There are several things to consider, beyond expenses such as fuel and how are you going to transport the plow. You should also check with your insurance carrier. You may not be insured beyond a certain radius from your "base of operations". You should also check need for permits in the area you intend to conduct business. Also, you may need to file income tax for that state.
  15. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

My Thoughts

#1I would need at least 3 hours of work to every hour of driving for it to make sense to me to do that.#2It might be a good idea to unhook the plow and throw it in the back for the drive ther[given that you have a system to lift it.]#3 remember that you are tearing up the frount end for every mile you drive with a plow on.#4check the truck fluids and it wouldnt hurt to carry a quart of the vitals:Hydro, motor oil , ect.
  16. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Um...Who's snow would you plow?
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'd sure hate to break down somewhere quite a distance away from my shop.

And you just know that a local garage wouldn't screw someone from out of town.... :rolleyes: One look at the plates...
  18. Gatewayuser

Residential if they get as much snow as they say they will I'm sure I could drive around and find work. But I might not be going now until after 6:00am because I am on EMT squad duty tonight and I have to still check on my customers.
  19. Gatewayuser

Hows the snow in Canada maybe I should come up there, I bet that would make tax time fun:dizzy:.
  20. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Also a good chance they might not get any snow and you drove all the way for nothing. You get there, break something and have to turn around and go home or find a shop.

The chances of finding enough residentials are slim to none. To get drivebys the person has to be outfront and already shoveling. You won't know the neibourhood or the demographics.