1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you charge??? Or just say thanks??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jan 13, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Doing a local Famous Daves, BBQ restaurant, parking lot the typical 150-200 car restaurant parking lot.

Anyways, manager called, had me spread some ice melt down the aisles, not worry about the actual parking spaces, just wanted to get some walk ways melted down.

I spread 6 bags if ice melt, typical charge $25 / bag.

Would you charge the restaurant??

For Christmas, the manager gave me a $50 gift card from the restaurant.

The assistant manager is ALWAYS giving us 25-50% discounts on dinner, as well as free desserts.

2. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

how much did the bag cost you? If it was me, i would want the discounts and freebies to keep coming so i would give them a freebie. at the most charge them for the cost of the salt not for my time.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i would try staying away from doing work for them cuz youll be working for free which is never fun

4. 10elawncare

just make it a point to say this one is a freebie

5. LwnmwrMan22

I also do their lawn mowing / snowplowing maintenance for $275 / month year around.

6. 10elawncare

if it was me, i would do it for free. just make sure to tell them that this one would be no charge. tell them its a belated x-mas present.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If they treat you fair, then I see no reason not to be fair back. It's nice when someone appreciates the work you do!!

8. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

Business is business. I would still charge them. I would also make sure you let the manager know you thank him for the gift card.

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would have to agree and give them a treat every once and a while.

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Wasn't salting part of the contract? I have 2 salting prices x amount if onsite plowing and x amount if I need to make a dedicated trip. I'd charge them, had one account that I had to salt mon,tues,and wed morning last week, their gutters run into the parking lot which was making an icerink at nitepayup at least I had something to do between all the snow we got:cool:

11. LwnmwrMan22

I'm just north of the cities enough where salting is a hard sell.

Yes, I have banks and other accounts where I salt and it's included in the contract.

At this location and others, it's listed at $100 / man hour, + the cost of supplies.

Basically to run 50 lbs of ice melt, takes about 5 minutes and an $8 bag of ice melt.

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You used 6 bags x $8= $48 plus 1 hr =$148
    6 bags @ $25 per bag =$150
    Your math/charges are the same either way.
    CHARGE HIM if you make an exception this time HE will be looking for an exception next time. JMO

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  13. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I would say charge him something. Discount it if you want, but definately let them know that you gave them a discount since you did not do the whole lot and such. That way if someone falls you have a record of the service you performed as well. jmo

14. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

If it was a one time thing let it go.

It would be tough to tag him for what it is worth on your monthly amount.

Other wise charge him for salt at cost, and let him know in the future you are happy to do it but this will be the charge.

15. LwnmwrMan22

It's the first time I've been called to spread salt on the lot in the 10 years I've been servicing this account.

16. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

I dont see what the big deal is? He called wanting service. I doubt he called you to do this for free. The discount he gets for not salting the whole lot is by you not charging him for the extra salt it would take to complete the job. I still say charge him the standard rate or else he might expect that in the future.

17. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Assuming you prepare monthly invoices for this customer .... what i do in a situation like this is prepare the invoice saying $48 for ice melt used, $100 for labour minus a discount of (i would suggest) $100 good will.

We actually have a restuarant that we plow for, Mary Brown's Chicken. Every time we go there for lunch (and we go not for the discounts but cuz the chicken is great its like a healthier KFC) she charges us like half and sometimes not at all. So when she calls for a bit of additonal salt or if we can move some snow from one spot to another... we dont charge or only charge our cost.

Yes of course we are in it for the business but "Good Will" is also important. And happy customers this year make paying customers next year.....

Just my 2 cents. . . .

18. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Maybe charge for time and not material, or material and not time. One poster says (meaning no disrespect to him or his opinion) business is business and he should be charged...but I say look at it from the establishments managers point of view too. He does not need to give the certificate or the discounts or deserts as a part of normal business. He is going above and beyond. It won't hurt your relationship with them to do the same. that's my opinion, considering you take care of them year round and assuming everything else is business as usual. You could always ask what he prefers. Maybe he would rather have it included in his budget.

edit: Oasis' post was not up when I started. we appear to be in agreement, didn't mean to copy him.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Tey are fair to you....Be fair to them. What goes around....comes around.
    They have been with you for a long time and that is worth something IMO

20. prizeprop

prizeprop Senior Member

If you feel like not charging them, then this is what I would do. Show it on your invoice as it would be if you expected payment, Then write no charge for the total. This way he knows you took care of them and he knows what to expect to pay next time he calls you for salt. Otherwise he might start to want salt more often and thinks its free or included all the time.