1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you carry a back-up 2 stage blower on one of these??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by casey, Jan 10, 2002.

1. casey

casey Banned

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

ok i use one such hitch platform for my seeding equipment. my platfom doesnt go up and down tho. I have often thought of putting a blower on it but with my tailgate salter i am not able to. Also it depending on what kind of work ur doing it may get in the way. It would make backing up to plow residentials difficult. I got myine from northerntool.com. But its not the worst idea. Hope this helps.
  3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I've seen plenty of trucks using the platforms used for hauling spreaders, blowers, salt etc. I'd never heard of a powered lift platform though. That's pretty cool.
  4. casey

casey Banned

I have some tenant buildings downtown where trailering is difficult because cars are parked both sides of street.
    You could get a couple 2 stages & a single stage on their largest platform.
    The smaller platform looks good if you wanted to carry a 2 stage or a couple singles with a plow.
  5. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

But will it get in your way?
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That was my feeling too, I have some accounts where I wouldn't be able to turn around with that hanging off the back. Something else to consider is exposure to damage. If someone rearends you, both your truck and blower are damaged. What would be even neater is if this unit folded upright at the top so you could use it as a lift gate to load your truck and then fold it up while transporting.
  7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I gotta agree with the person who made the comment about someone rear ending you...... not only do you waste a $1500 dollar lift platform you will ruin anything thats on there and create more damage to the vehicle that hits you.....

When we were on a fishing trip we went to get more minnows and uncoupled the boat trailer but left the drawbar and the 18" extention in the hitch and on the way to the bait shop we got rear ended by a lumina the drawbar went thru the grill and the radiator/condensor and hit the engine before shearing off the hitch bolts....... the person with the lumina had no insurance and it cost over $2k to get it repaired wich our ins covered....if we hadnt had that extra 18" we would have only needed 2 bumpers less then $500~~~ Nate
  8. casey

casey Banned

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the unit. Lift high enough to load the bed then flip & fold the platform. E mailed the co. regarding possible modifications but looking at the lift system I doubt it would be possible.
  9. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes Member

I just gotta ask...........why, if they rear ended you, did your insurance have to pay for their lumina..........regardless of the fact of them having no insurance??? Do you have some sort of screwed up law in your state regarding that? Seems like it would be their fault, and your ins should only pay to fix your vehicle.......
  10. casey

casey Banned

If anyone is interested.
    Got an e-mail from lifthitch claiming the lift could be modified to load the truck bed & fold away. I doubt for the one truck I was planning on using it on the cost of these mods would be acceptable but if you had use for multiple units it may be worthwhile.