1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would you buy this????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by porabjr, Nov 24, 2014.

1. porabjr

porabjr Member

Hey Chevy guys, I've been looking for a back-up truck for last couple months and must admit i'm feeling some time pressure. Anyway, found an 86 K20 with an 8 foot Fisher (pre-MM). Rockers are shot, but claims alot of work done to it over years. Any comments or advice?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I wouldn't just because I don't want something that old but there are lots of guys on here that swear by them. Take it to your mechanic and have him check it out if the seller will let you. If he doesn't then my guess is he has something to hide

3. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

It is a 28 year old truck. Unless you are committed to putting lots of dollars into repairs. I would pass. My best friend has a 1992 Chevy. Last year he had the it restored. Spent a lot of money on the restoration. Soon after bring it home the engine let go with less than 80,000 miles on it. He bought a remanufacture engine as a replacement. Not long after that the transmission and transfercase had to be rebuilt. It had become a money pit.

4. porabjr

porabjr Member

I took a pass on the truck. Mechanically it looked solid, but the thing was damm near rotted away. I expect rust on any plow truck, and certainly on a 28 year old truck, but the thing still needs to be parked ifo my house. I am still without a backup. I would love new, but cannot justify the price or the abuse of plowing. The issue becomes with used, what will go wrong next??? that applies to a truck 8 years old or 18 years old.

5. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

an early 2000's chevy shouldn't be much in terms of cost, (less than 5K) except if you expect a plow on it....i know a guy with a 2000 2500 that could handle a plow if you need one fairly cheap...