1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you buy products "made in the usa"

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Dissociative, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

Hello everyone.....

First....i'm not trying to sell anything...so please no asking....this is a discussion about products...nothing more....cool

Now....regarding your emergency light purchases....obviously a LOT of it is made in Asia...and we have several different qualities of Asia to deal with...only some is actually made here in the usa...

1- have any of you already found emergency lighting products (led or strobe) that are made here in our country?...if so what were they and how did you like them?

2- If a company offered a better product than whats on the market now, AND had the advantage of local support and filling local jobs building it......would you pay extra for that product?..assuming it is in fact equal or better than the say...Whelen....stuff...

discussions are a nice way to break up all the "how do i?" threads in this section...

2. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

I personally don't buy much in the way of NEW lights... I can't afford the NEW stuff. BUT, I do buy alot of USED lights, and prefer the stuff made in America. Again, being into the older stuff, its easier to find products of the USA than it is these days.

If I was in a position to buy a new product --- and a company in the USA could make a product with every single component being made in the USA (down to leds and circuit boards) It would be extremely expensive, and I'm betting it wouldn't sell well --- I would probably buy one. It would be nice to see someone here trying to build quality products that will last more than a year before they are obsolete. Warning lights aren't like computers, so after a year the lights should still work, and still be supported by the company and warranty.

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Whelen.. Which I'm pretty sure is HQ'ed in Chester, Connecticut although they do have warehouses in in England, Canada, and Mexico.

4. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, they may be HQ'ed in the US, but is every part made in the US? I doubt it. I would defiantly rather support a FULL "Made in the USA" company!

5. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Good luck finding one.

6. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Made in the USA
    or
    Assembled in the USA?

:dizzy:

7. BossPlow2010

It's really difficult to find a company that has products where all the parts are Made in the USA. The money goes to a US company.

8. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

I own and still purchase Whelen, I support made in USA. We became a Whelen distributor due to that. I would pay a few $$$$ more to keep our people employed, and would gladly support heavy tariffs on imports. Time to make this country what is use to be!

I own 4 LED vertex, Responder 2 LED Mini Light Bar, 1 Mini Edge Strobe Light Bar, multiple miscellaneous parts. .
    Although Whelen is more expensive their customer support is fantastic, their quality and products are great, we haven't had trouble with them.

I am interested in the Buyers line of LEDs but don't have much information on them yet. Some of the items when comparing to Whelen, Whelen is outrageously expensive.

9. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

10. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

There are some components that just aren't made in this country anymore ! I buy american whenever I can find what I need made here ! Now Whelen is a great company , I love their Modified tour , them boys honk at Loudon !

11. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

if it aint made in the usa or a union i dont buy it

12. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

You are correct, the money may go to a US company, but isnt Nike a US company? and all their products are made over seas, the money goes to a US company, yes. But it also goes to foreign countries and not to all American workers.

13. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

Very good points so far...is whelen assembled or actually made here?

14. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Both, on most of their products.

15. BossPlow2010

Why don't you Sho Me, unless you're not Able 2!
    Made in Missouri.

16. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

I would love to buy from USA. But heres some interesting info.

I build LED things, clusters, lights, blinkers, tails, etc.

I can buy 2,000 LEDs from hong kong for $28, with shipping!

Those same LEDs bought from the US (still made in hong kong) would cost me $142.!

Its a no brainer, I just can not afford to buy USA made LEDs.

17. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Not to be a smart ass, but what kind of car or truck can you possibly drive that met that criteria? There simply are none. Maybe assembled in the USA, but not 100% manufactured in the USA.

18. Too Stroked

I think you're going to find that the real answer is a little of both. The sad truth is that we have chased some manufacturing out of this country with a combination of high wages, high taxes and environmental regulations. Many electronic components for instance are simply no longer made here.

From what I can find out, Whelen manufactures a number of their parts here, but have to buy other parts from around the globe - for a variety of reasons. They also assemble a number of their products here. Some of those products have larger "made in America" percentages than others. That's typical for most companies.

Having spent 35+ years in manufacturing here in the US, I can tell you that no matter how much any of us might like to buy things made 100% in America, it's simply not possible for a huge number of reasons. And anybody who says they only buy only Ameican products probably didn't look carefully at the label.

19. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

absoluty would thats why i brought a gmc truck i pay more every time i fill it up 2-3 times a week. could of brought a tacoma oh wait gm are made in mexico and canada only assembled in the usa.
    this is the type of rhetoric every one talks about there are very few large companies that use all the resources from the usa there are plenty of smaller companies and imo thats who i prefer to do business with..
    for the record yes i would buy a ford or gmc product again.

20. Too Stroked

I should also probably add that "Made in the USA" does not always guarantee better quality. For instance, the main Star Warning Systems factory is located about 30 minutes from my house. I know a number of people that work there and have used Star products for years. I really like to support my friends there whenever I can. I also have a bunch of Whelen products. The Whelen stuff is far better on quality and reliability from what I've seen and experienced. Of course it's far more expensive too. Just a thought.