1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would You Buy It?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Jan 24, 2009.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'm in the process of looking for another truck and stumbled across a pretty nice deal. I was looking for a diesel, but this one kind of caught my eye a little. It's a '96 Chevy 1500 ext cab stepside bed with a 5.7 and a 7.5 Fisher Minute Mount. The truck is mint, I mean perfect (accoding to a friend that went to look at it for me). 29,000 origional miles, yes, 29,000. It's got a supercharger, programmer, and a few other goodies to it. Guy wants $8900 for everything. Good deal? Would you buy that old of a truck with that few miles? It actually kind of concerns me that the truck has been sitting around a lot. Any opinions?
  2. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

sound like a good deal to me!!
  3. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

With the super charger on it I would want to know who was driving the truck. Also would like to know why it only has 29,000 miles on it. Did a little old lady drive it to church on Sundays?
  4. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

if its true, that's a hell of a deal...if your not interested,...drop me the contact info...
  5. DeereFarmer

I'm pretty sure this truck has been babied from the beginning. There is not a spec on it. The cutting edge on the plow doesn't have a scratch on it. I'm in the process of hopefully buying a house, so I have to see what kind of play money I have left first.
  6. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

X2! I wanna go check this truck out. Got any pictures of it to share?
  7. DeereFarmer

I'll try to post some pics up later tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to email the guy to get some better shots.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Personally, I do not think supercharger, babied, and plow, go together on the same truck.

If I had a given amount of money to spend on a vehicle, I would look newer/high miles versus older/low miles. If you can get a fairly recent one owner high miles, that's the way to go IMO. With the nicer trim package. That usually means someone bought the vehicle and needed to depend on it for work or whatever. Should mean better maintainance and care all around.
  9. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

My GF's grandmother has a 97 GMC RCLB Z71 that only has 20,600 miles on it. Her husband bought it new and passed away in 2001. The truck just sits in the garage most of the time. They mainly just use it around the farm. I took it to the shop the other day because the intake manifold gasket was leaking and noticed that the oil hasn't been changed in over three years and the oil change only has a little over 2,000 miles on it. It also has an oil leak starting at the rear seal or the rear of the pan gasket. AC compressor is also leaking. Sitting around is not good on vehicles.

10. DeereFarmer

I agree with you. I'd rather have a truck with a decent amount of miles on it that get's used on a regular basis. Sitting does not help anything. I still havn't heard back from the guy yet.
  11. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I used to work in a garage as a mechanic and we would get these 10 year or more old vehicles in for service that seniors owned . They looked great body wise in A1 shape. When we put them on a hoist the underneath of their vehciles the flooring were totally rotten or the frame was rusted out and unsafe to drive. The seniors don't drive then much so the vehicle just sits and rots.

I am not say that the truck Deerefarmer is in bad shape but just from experience.
  12. DeereFarmer

Thanks for the insight Lencodude. Experience is always helpful and welcomed! The guy still has not gotten back to me yet, so he must not really want to sell it.
  13. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Where were these vehicles parked to have rusted out frames? And the flooring rotten?? In a ten year old vehicle??? Were these stored in a salt bath?

14. DeereFarmer

Could have been stored on grass or dirt. I've heard the moisture from non paved ground can cause rust. I don't know for sure. Could just be a myth for all I know.