1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Buddhaman, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 regular cab. It has 125000 miles, Cummins turbo diesel, stick. It was a loggers truck. Sister in laws husband passed away and is selling this. It has a western straight blade with it. It is in decent shape. Definately used. Box is damaged on one side buy I have a flat rack sitting doing nothing right now. Needs tires and a hood. She wants $4500 for it. Seems like a decent deal to me for a diesel. But I am a Ford guy so I know nothing about Dodges except I love the Cummins diesel. Opinions please.
  2. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

From the few details you gave it sounds like an alright deal.

The damage to the box definatly lowers the price, but that doesn't matter since you said you
    have a flat rack there doing nothing. How's the engine? Is it still strong and sturdy?

Put it this way: If I was in your place, and I could do it, and/or needed another/bigger truck, I'd do it.
  3. pmm

pmm Junior Member

I'm also a Ford guy but bought a Dodge because it was a deal. I'm happy with it, but Ford still runs in my viens. This truck sounds like a deal. Did you buy it and what do you think?
  4. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

cummin's wont fail you.... dodge tranny might. :cry:
  5. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Is it an early '97 or late '97? The early should have the 12 valve Cummins. Very reliable and strong. The late will have a 24 valve. Lots of power, and reliable as well, but vp44 injection pump is the weak part of this engine. We have 1 of each engine.

We've a '94 reg cab, 12 valve, 2wd, SRW, 5 speed, long box with 340,000 miles. We are the original owners. Still runs like new, and have never been in the engine. We've replaced 3 throttle linkages, and a water pump. 2 sets of batterys, 5 sets of tires, a couple rounds of brakes, and some seals in the axle. We did just have the front end rebuilt last fall for good measure. This truck has pulled a trailer for 80% of its life. In fact, I did not move, or start it all winter. Just yesterday, I hopped in to move it, 1 crank and she popped right off. One of the first new body style ram sold in Mn. This truck will last forever, and never fails.

We also have a '99 quad cab, 24 valve, 4wd, Dually, 6 speed, long box with 190,000. We are the second owners of this truck. This truck has power. With the six speed it has the same low and high ratio of a 5 speed, but the in-between gears are closer together. It'll pull anything we put behind it. We use this to pull our 873 Bobcat and other trailers now. This truck only let us down once. I was accelerating at a stoplight and everything just died. Truck quit. Towed, ended up being the vp44 fuel injection pump, and we replaced the transfer pump as well. Works great since. I wouldn't trade or get rid of this one either.

If that truck was in my area, I'd snap it up. It'll be reliable and you'll like it.
  6. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

'97 is a 12 valve , the 24 valve change was '98.5 .
  7. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

Yes, what he said ;) Thanks for the clarification.
  8. RollinCoalCTD

RollinCoalCTD Junior Member

that would make a nice truck. Id rather push a dodge than drive a ford....haha