1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would you buy an 04 dodge 3/4 ton with 100,000 mi?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by turbo5560, Oct 8, 2009.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

Would you buy an 04 dodge, quad cab, good condition, with 100,000 miles? I was looking to get something with less miles on it, but i was looking for a gas motor. But i have an 04 cummins and love it, and thought another one as my personal truck would be great. But a little hesitate with 100,000 miles on it. Any opinions?

2. lotec25

lotec25 Member
    from Florida

As long as the maintenance logs were kept good, I would pick it up. The V8's i usually read about people are usually putting 250K on them with no problems. Most of those guys have had the truck the Hole time and kept up with them.

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Heck I bought two just barely year old 1999 trucks with 100K on them. They are still in daily service.

4. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I would be nervous to buy a 3rd generation cummins out of warranty. They are noctorious for injector/fuel pump problems. My 03 3500 has had the transfer pump replaced twice, 2 injectors replaced on 2 different occations. Luckily mine was under warranty or it would have been very expensive. My 7/100,000 Cummins warranty expires in March of 2010. I am considering selling the truck with only 63,000 miles just because I am afraid of the future repaire bills out of warranty.

If you spend some time and do some reading on Cumminsforum.com you will see the same fuel system related problems over and over again.

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

good fuel filtration and a in tank pump will solve alot of the issues, but 03's were common for injector failures. also depends on what engine you have because if you have a 03 so motor an 04 is a different beast.

6. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

I've owned Dodge's from 93- 04 and still do. Never have I replaced a fuel pump, injectors, transfer pump, transmission or any of the other parts that so many people have TROUBLE with. Bought new trucks with Cummins in 93, 94, 96, 97, 98, 04. Bought gas V-10's from 97-98. Done nothing but plow, salt and pull real heavy trailers with them. My 04 has 148,000 miles now and haven't touched it other than just changed the original batteries, filters, brakes, u-joints, water pump gasket.

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Personally the owner/operator has a lot to do with the longevity of the fuel system. If the truck was a farm truck drinking dirty old diesel out of some rusty tanks you can expect some isssues. Filter changes on the fuel system are key. There are pros and cons to every plow truck, i don't think the Cummins engines have many cons......

For piece of mind run the vin# at your local dealership and get a history on the truck.