1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you buy a 08 F450?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by moresnow, Mar 29, 2016.

1. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

As the title says would you? Has the 6.4 power stroke, crew cab, leather, and nice aluminum bed. 55,000 miles. 6.4 worries me a bit. What do you guys think?
  2. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

if you like reading the "cleaning exhaust" message and plumes of black smoke, sure.
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

And if ya like taking the cab off for any major repairs. If the truck is so great, why are they selling it? Post some pics.
  4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Job 1 or 2?
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Probably not, I'd go for a 6.0 F450 or a 6.7 F450.

A good friend of mine owns a repair shop that specializes in trucks, mostly Powerstrokes. I've asked on several occasions about various truck's I've found that I had an interest in to use as my daily driver, plow truck, etc and let my 550 sit more. The truck's I've found have all been a mix of 6.4's and 05+ 6.0's. He's told me numerous times to buy a 6.0 over a 6.4. His reasoning is basically, a 6.0 can be made reliable and with basic maintenance and care it should stay reliable. A 6.4 can also be made reliable, for how long is anyone's guess. It might make it 10k and pop or it might go another 250k without issue. He's replaced a couple 6.0's and put pistons in a couple more. One wiped a cam lobe at almost 300k, others were due to other mechanics not being careful or educated properly and a couple have been owner induced problems. There's been significantly more 6.4 long blocks installed and various other trucks getting new pistons due mostly to pistons cracking. There's been a couple which have received new motors due to the owner forgoing any advice given on which tune to use and loads the biggest tune he has then tries to tow 20k like it's a race car and melts it down but for the most part the 6.4 failures are all internal and design flaws. Both he and his brother have 08 6.4's and 04 6.0's. The 6.0's are the reliable daily drivers, work trucks, shop trucks, etc. The 6.4's are part time daily drivers and toys. Both have blown up, one only had around 50k on a new Ford installed motor with 40k of those miles tuned and straight piped. In the 10k miles it was stock the regen process still managed to apparently inflict enough damage that the motor didn't hold together. Both their trucks cracked pistons just driving down the road. One motor had about 150k on it, the last 35-40k of it's life being very hard miles with the power cranked way up, the 50k mi motor had been run hard a few times as well but both were over maintained. They both said the same thing about it happeneing, they were just cruising and got on the throttle some to merge or pass a car and pop........
    I had a nice coating of oil all the way down the deck of my trailer and the entire underside of his pickup from the 3/4 of a mile he limped it off the highway and the 45 seconds it ran to get up on my trailer. The oil was literally dripping off the bottom of the truck from the front axle to the rear bumper.

These pics are cylinder 7 on the 150k mi motor.
  6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I work on larger diesels. I see s few flaws there. That piston just isn't beefy enough for the pressures those engines have.
  7. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I probably wouldn't either. The 6.4 in my opinion is too much of a gamble.
    Also 55k may seem good but on an 8 year old truck that's less than 7k a year, on an engine that needs to be driven and worked hard, it is actually a red flag for me.
    I am sure there are a lot of people that don't have problems with them, but everything I've read it seems like it just is a very expensive engine to maintain, and even then it still is not trouble free.
    Not to mention the radiators failing pretty frequently.
    I'd pass but if you're set on 08-10 550s I'd look for a v10.
  8. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe some pics. Price? If I could by it reasonable where there was room for repairs maybe. Retail on a gamble no.
  9. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

Tough one, I have heard the horror stories but have a 08 f450 with 110k on it and a 08 f250 with 240k on it both were deleted early and there both tuned mildly. Buddy has a 08 with 50k on it tuned for max hp with no issues either. But read the forums and proof above there are issues just don't know if you have one till you have one. Ever year truck seems to have some horror stories that the Internet celebrates, no doubt there true you just never know to what extent. I had two 05 duramax trucks that were suppose to be head gasket eaters but that never came true on those. Do your research and make ur own decision.
  10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I bought a '08 6.4psd F-350 CC with a 6spd manual trans new, had it for 8yrs/110k miles and never had a problem with it. It was bone stock and used for towing.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  11. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

Wish I could post some pics, but it's at a used car lot about 40 miles away. An where else but backwoods Missouri can you find a car lot that don't have a website with pictures. Price is $29,900. Sorta thinking I'll pass on it, 6.4 worries me an I think I'd sooner have a new or newer one with the 6.7. An maybe a 550 instead.
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've been pretty happy with my '12 6.7 F550 so far.
  13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

6.7 yes
    6.0 only if all service record and all deleted and mods done
    6.4 NO
    I haven't see one good one personally and I'm a ford guy as well
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My 08 was tuned (350hp extra).....I miss that truck.
  15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

They seem to be faster on the 310 tune but it's kind of irrelevant information for you now.
  16. 1olddogtwo

I had a Western Wideout on it, need high HP to push mountain high piles of snow....

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Shoulda bought a Cummings, they come stock with enough torque to push expandable plows.
  18. 1olddogtwo

19. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

20. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

What does that link prove?