1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would you build a pole barn/ shop off the side of an existing garage?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by rusty_keg_3, Nov 13, 2010.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Well our garage is 60'x24'...

Its divided into a 24x24, 12x24, and a 24x24... The (2) 24x24's are garager, the 12x24 is a breez way... Their is 2 over head doors, about 15 (w) x 8 (t). And a Man Door in the front, and a man door in the back of the breez way.

Well, its a lil small and with 8' doors the dump wont fit... And its 24 deep, so its tight for trailers... And im sure u all kno u never have enough space... lol

So were thinking about adding to the side of the garage... We were thinking 60' (w), by 48' (d). And making 1/2 with a cement pad, the other just rock (2 save money up front.).

We would make it tall enough for 12' tall doors...

Today we just finished a new steel roof on the garage (its gray), and its got white siding...

I made a 3d model real quick to see how it would look (i put red siding, cuz thats what we would want on the barn, then eventually do the garage... So what do you guys think?

If u want i can take more pics of the 3d model, or real pics of the existing garage...

Attached Files:

• 5.bmp
      File size:
      657.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.bmp
      File size:
      506.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.bmp
      File size:
      671.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.bmp
      File size:
      928.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.bmp
      File size:
      693.8 KB
      Views:
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

SO the one on the right is the existing and the left is all new. Not being converted?

I think it looks awesome. Will defiantly be a good idea. Use what ya already got. I just added a 18'x40' leantwo on mine.

3. rusty_keg_3

Correct... from the front view (with all the doors) the old (existing one) is on the right side...

We just finished the new steel roof on it today, and the 8 hrs i was on the roof i was thinking this up...

I figured id spend 15 min to put it into the computer so i dont gotta try to take real pics and try to describe it... Ud all think im nuts lol

Ohh, we arent sure how deep we would go tho, cuz theirs a windblock behind the garage, but it kinda opens up after a while... Ill prop take a a few pics quick...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  4. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Seems like a really big and flat roof on the addition. Why not shift the ridgeline to the center and use trusses so that you have a wide open floor plan w/o and columns or supporting walls?

5. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Before you add on, could you eliminate the breezeway and put the taller doors on the gable ends of the existing structure? A drive thru shop has its advantages.

6. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Looks good in my opinion. But these days inspectors are the final say. They gotta worry about if the old part collapses etc and brings the new part down. They may want a separation between old and new as in making the new separate. Maybe the breezeway will cover this aspect.

7. rusty_keg_3

Ok, centered the ridge line, i think it looks much better... What do you think?

And the existing building is in great condition, no worries about it collapsing...

Ohh, ill throw up some pics of the existing structure, i forgot why i had them on my phone till now... haha

Attached Files:

• 1.bmp
      File size:
      805 KB
      Views:
    • 2.bmp
      File size:
      445.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.bmp
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 4.bmp
      File size:
      837.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.bmp
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
  8. rusty_keg_3

Ok, heres the existing garage pics... Please excuse the mess... Thats what happens to your yard when ur brother loses his house (and our shop) in a tornado... lol, its better, their was 2 wrecked trucks, 2 wrecked cars, a wrecked suburban, a wrecked trailer, and about 5 wrecked mowers... U can still still our vbox (or whats left of it)...

1113101721.jpg

1113101722.jpg

1113101722a.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  9. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

What are you thinking for materials. Are you thinking steel or wood? Wood would be quite expensive to build something like that. You may be able to find a prefab steel erector to come in and actually build it for cheaper than you can get the wood material for. MAYBE I don't know prices in your area, just a thought. Depending on your profession, unless you do buildings, I would recommend separating the two. It makes the whole process ALOT easier and more time efficient for you. Not having to deal with joining wall and flashing of the existing roof. Not to mention having the space to actually stand up the walls without having the other shop in the way.
    With your windwall behind you what you may consider is rotating the building a bit and moving it forward, so it is more inline with the driveway. Merely a suggestion. Although I dont deal with tornados in the north, I am an architectural engineer. I could help you through your design development if your interested. sketchup is a great program, just be careful to not build off of it, it leaves alot to be desired in detailing. Hence why separating the two buildings would be beneficial. Less details. you could easily save 100 man hours.

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think the first thing is what will you do or how will you set up the new and old garage? i would keep the ridge in the center and not off set to the smaller. as a matter afact i would try to encompuse the old into the new and make that bigger also. My friend did that to his he had an old and added a big garage on the the rear and went right over the old with new and added 2 14x14 doors was nice and high no if he ever wants to do anything with the way the inside is he can.