1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would this truck be a decent Plow/Salt truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DAZ982500, May 3, 2008.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I am looking at a truck on EBAY, it is a Ford 96 Diesel long bed with Western plow fram.Has 220k.He islooking to get $4900 out of it.I live pretty close to him ,by the way it can be viewed on EBAY it is two tone red/white.Would this be ok for commercial use.Any pros/cons with this type yr truck.Dave
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

A little more information would help and a picture or link to the site. Just saying it's on Ebay doesn't help. What size truck (2500, 3500 etc)? What cab configuration? What type of transmission? What kind of commercial sites?
  3. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I was in a rush at the time I posted this.It is a 1996 Ford F250 EXT CABXLT long box with the wiring and frame for a Western Plow.The truck is located in Syracuse N.Y. approx 70 miles from me.I am looking to upgrade from my current 95 K1500 1/2 to a 3/4 ton.The transmission I cannot identify at this time.The type of properties docters/dentist offices,50 car parking lot down to residential work.The couple of concerns I have are the yr of the truck(associated problems with the yr/make) and it is a long truck ext+8' bed.I would create the link but this is not a gifted area for me.If anyone has the time the truck is one EBAY trucks/FORD 1996.THANKS DAVE
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It might be good overall, but I'd be concerned with the overall length of the truck. I always opt for a regular cab. Having had a plow on it, it might be worn out with a quarter million miles. Although I think the motor might be good, I'd be more concerned with the front end components and any damage from salt accumulation. I'd also want to check out the transmission as plowing snow is particularly hard on them when guys slam piles and don't stop completely before shifting directions.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i wouldent touch that truck. high miles, 5th wheel, plow, edge power pack, he beat the piss out of this truck towing, plowing, and im sure just kicking the crap out of it.
  7. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

B&B yes that is the truck.Thanks Dave
  8. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I wouldn't judge just by that because I had the same basic setup in my 96 F-350. Yes I used the truck for pulling a lot of stuff I should not have & plowing as well as a programmer on it but I also overkilled the maintenace on it. If you know the person that owns the truck & if he is good on maintenance then the truck is good. I sold my 96' to a farm kid with over 200,000 miles on it & he has had zero troubles with it over than finally getting a tranny rebuild. If someone does good upkeep on these 7.3 PSD's then they should run well over 300,000 miles
  9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

not a bad truck IMO for the price...7.3 is a very good motor...300+ is very common...and more than likely the EDGE was NOT on there from day one as they are only now gaining popularity in the scene. My guess 3-4 years max.

Would i enlist this truck to commercial duty, no...it's personal truck or at best a back up but not fit for dependent daily commercial duty IMO.....just too high of mileage. unless your a risk taker. But think of this, when the truck goes down and the lost work and tow/repair = more than the new trucks payment where are you?.

ohh, and good call....it's gonna suck plowing unless it's a very large lot..

either way take it to a dealer for an inspection at least.
    Last edited: May 7, 2008

BM'S PLOWING Member
    from MASS.

The 7.3 Is A Great Motor. I Would Be More Concerned With The Transmission. I Have A F-250 With A 450 Suspension In The Rear. It Is Also A Xcab With The Long Bed. The Truck Is Very Long And I Do All Commercial Plowing. Getting Into Drive Thru's Is Tuff. Don't Even Attempt To Do Residentials With It. Also The Other Problem Is You Need A Lot Of Weight In The Back. I Run A Two Yard Henderson Sander In Mine, With It Full It Plows Great. Soon As It Is Empty Though Forget It.