1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would this pusher be too big...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ive narrowed down my search of pushers I want. I'm going with BOSS BX12 for the loader and either a 8ft or 9ft for our skid steer. Here's my question, my skid steer is a New Holland LX 665 turbo. Its a 50hp machine that weighs around 6k lbs. would the 9ft be too big with BOSS wings? With a plow type set up I can angle off to one side if it gets too heavy and the extra couple feet would be nice on light days. Or should I just stick with the 8ft with BOSS wings.

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

8fter with the wings for that machine.....If you are running dedicated snow tires you might be able to pull of the 9fter w/ wings.

3. Brian Young

snocrete, I was hoping you would chime in. I looked at Snow wolf's but the price was 2800.00, thats a bit too much right now. Plus if all goes well I see a LS 185 or 190 in my future (in the next couple years). All I have for this machine is chains and a set of new tires.

4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

BX12 your using a front end loader or a backhoe? That is a heck of a box for sure!

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have never ran a boss SS plow, but have heard from "reliable" sources they are a well built unit. Also they can be fitted with the kage system down the road if you decide to.... FWIW, the wolf paws would be transferable to a NH 185....I dont think the 190 though (dif bolt pattern than the model you have and a NH 185, which should have the same bolt pat.)

One thing I believe makes a huge difference is the ability of the plow/pusher to float/tilt/oscillate independently from the machine. This will improve your cleaning ability on uneven ground, allow for some extra give if hitting an obstruction, & most importantly allowing the SS to ride on all 4 tires (on its own weight) while pushing. As soon as the front tires come off the ground you lose traction.

6. Brian Young

Undecided as of yet. I'm hoping to hear about 2 large lots today to see what we're going to do. I was looking at buying a 99 Dresser 510C but if that doesn't happen we're just going to rent a CAT 430D Backhoe. The box is built for either, its got the trip edge and the sides move as well so it was a good choice for all the features.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  7. Brian Young

I was going to go with a traditional push box but after weighing price, and usability I though a plow type system was best for us plus like you said if we ever wanted to add the kage system we could with the BOSS set up.

8. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

JMHO...the BX 12 looks really light on the trip spring system. A think a larger machine like a 3 yrd loader might damage it easily. For the cost you might want to look at something like a horst product for a heavier duty unit. Just a suggestion. :drinkup:

9. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Go for the 9' with wings. We run a 753 with a 9' fisher and pro wings. Its not a rigid mount so it will float. So all 4 tires are always on the ground pushing. Works awesome for us.

10. digit

digit Member

I know those snow tires are expensive but well worth it even if you get a bigger machine you will be glad you have them. I would dare say your smaller machine with snow tires would push as good or better than the bigger one with regular tires. ( talking about skid steers )

11. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I agree with this statement 100%. As far as your skid goes get the larger plow you will be fine 90% of the time and when you get your larger skid you will be all set. As far as the wolf snow tires go I have never owned a set of but I would have a hard time dishing out that kind of $$$ for tires I personally would trade into a bigger machine and use the tire money toward the trade but thats just my opinion.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Should be able to find them for close to half that....for that machine.

FWIW, they offer two different sizes....and that machine should take the smaller/less expensive ones.

13. Brian Young

IDK, I emailed him my machine specs and thats what he emailed me the price was.

14. Brian Young

I saw that on one of their YOU-TUBE video's but this loader was only a 1.75yrd machine and the backhoe would be fine with it. As far as a Horst.....I emailed them and got no response. My next choice was a Avalanche w/ trip spring system.

15. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

If you get new tires I would go with recaps there is a tread pattern that is similar to the Wolf Paws. I use recaps only and hane no issues with traction. The OEM pattern is ok but the retreads have a better pattern for snow.

Here are some pics of the tires. Have you thought of getting a Snow Wolf plow?

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=90261

16. Brian Young

I got a quote from them for their system and is was quite a bit more than the BOSS I am looking at, close to double.

17. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I like the snow wolf plow/pusher combo. But the price is a little steep. The 9' with wings that we us are much cheaper to build. It usually costs us around $800 per set up. but a nice 10 ft combo plow on a 2 speed skid would be the balls. Good luck

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Have you ever ran a set of wolf paws Bird?. They are quite a bit different from the pic you posted.

19. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

No I have not yet. I looked closer at the Paws and your right the tread is different. Compared to the stock tires these retreads seem to work better and cheaper. I will have to give them a try this year, spend , spend , and then spend some more. Thanks now I am looking into buying a set of Paws, why does this snow preparation always cost me more money than the year before? Oh yah because of Plowsite!

20. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

This is JMO, but I think the machine will be overwhelmed on most snow's with the 11', other than very "light day's". I'm not saying you should go with an 8', but I wouldn't expect the 9' with wings to be "unstopable" most days. I run an 8' with wings on an S250, and there are certainly times it's in my best interests to take one or both wings off.

Also, don't think you'll have much more luck just angling the blade to take a load offf the machine. You'll find it's much easier to mantain a good push by leaveing the blade square. As soon as you angle it, it will just spin you out sideways.

PS, weren't you just selling this skid a few days ago for something bigger? :confused: