1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would this make sense?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by green frog, Dec 20, 2009.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

We have 62 residentials and 5 small commercials. I own (2) 1995 f250's both with western 7.5ft pro plows and a jeep cherokee with a 6'6" western. My properties are split into 2 routes and I thought we could park the fords on a commercial property and purchase another jeep so we could use them for all the residentials. Could you justify the purchase to use less gas and increase speed on driveways? One jeep would lay idol in summer and the other would be my daily driver and use the fords for pulling trailers. To me its a lot of vehicles for 2 guys in winter and 3 in summer. But I used the jeep the last snow fall and It cut an hour off my residentials easy. Lets hear the good and bad for this idea!

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

just me, but it seems like overkill,

3. Premier

Premier Senior Member

what you have to ask your self, will the time and fuel savings put more money into your pocket? also is there a chance that intaking on a new truck this year that you would have/take on more work next season to keep your fords running longer hours? more profit off the fords while the jeeps do the res? not sure where you want to go with the company.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It's actually a great idea. You see what the right piece does for you....and yes use it only for winter. It will last much longer if you don't use it in the summer. Same goes for your summer trucks. We do this on a bit larger scale. Most of our "summer trucks" rest all winter, and all of our loaders, big trucks w/salters, sidewalk vans, ect. rest all summer.

5. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

when you figure your costs don't forget insurance, licences, property tax, ect. It could be a good idea, but the cost of insurance ect. on an extra vehicle could offset your production increases dramaticly. Not knowing how much you pay your helper and your other fixed costs, it is hard to say. From what I know it seems you have a little extra time and some extra fuel to complete these driveways.

I didn't mean to ramble on, my point was think about all your costs.
    Dennis

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do it. That Ford sucks a lot of gas. Nothing wrong with having to many backups.Jeeps are kick ass for driveways.

7. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Thanks guys I think I will be looking for another jeep for next season and score a few more small commercials for the fords.