1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would this make a good plow truck ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sealer People, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi everyone, I just looked at a 2007 chevy 3500 LT, single rear wheel., 6.6 duramax, 4x4, extended cab long box. 112,000 kms, Alliston transmittion., selling for $34,000.00 canadian.

Im wondering if this would make a good plow truck & what type of plow would you guys have installed on it ?

Some people have been saying that the duramax doesnt make for a good plow truck, not sure why but Im hearing to go to other companies.

Im currently running a 1996 chevy 2500, diesel. The repair costs are beginning to take over, but its going to stick around as a spare..

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd be curious to hear whay the duramax would make a bad plow motor? In my opinion its powerful, reliable, and pretty decent fuel wise.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

People say that because of the extra pounds that the duramax has over a gas truck. Ignore that, there are tons of people that use dmax for plowing and don't have any issues. Maybe need some timrens in the fron tto help out a bit.

4. builtupbowtie

builtupbowtie Junior Member
    from Oh

the duramax is geared rather low in reverse, i have heard some complain about that but thats it. it's a great truck and I like knowing it's got some pull if i ever need it in reverse.

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Ah. I was under the assumption that he was talking about the motor itself. Being geared too low in reverse has nothing to do with the duramax, that is a by product of the allison but mainly by the rear end, which btw can be changed.

6. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

The only thing that would make me hesitant is the turning radius on an extended cab long box, but if your lots are wide open, then I would go for it. Dont have a duramax myself, but my friends that do, love em.

7. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I plowed w/ an extended cab for several years. The Duramax/Allison combination is hard to beat. Watch your plow weight. The engine weighs more than a gas engine so that reduces the front end capacity.

8. 06dmax

06dmax Member

My truck is the same exact thing your looking at but only a 2500hd and not a 3500hd. I cant see that youd have any problems unless you were plowing in tight area's and needed to turn around in them

9. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

IMO the D-Max is a great plowing platform. Great power when you need it yet can be sluggish for better traction if you do not spool it up. Reverse is no problem for me, reverse speed is fine IMO. ECLB? that truck is longer than a wet week, you may get cramped in smaller driveways. I myself run 8' Fishers with 0 issues with weight. You could even run the 8.5' V-plow or 9' straight blade if you wanted but i would not go any bigger. That price seems steep to me, i would knock them down a bit on that. I bought my 06 RCLB with plow and 34k on the clock for $19,900 and that was Feb of 09.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  10. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Hey that truck would work fine..yes it is a bit long but its not a crew cab with a long box.

As for the price..I'm an hour from you and can compare what I know those trucks are going for in the area. $34g's is too much, even if it has leather (not sure if it does or not).

I paid $36 for my 07 crew cab short box sle dmax with 70kms in the summer of 09. Crew cab short boxs always go for more too..and I bought mine at a GM dealer.
    That truck should go for $28-29.

Hope that helps

11. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I just got went from a crew cab short box gasser to a crew cab long box duramax. So far i LOVE the dmax/allison combo!! I swapped the 8' pro from my old truck, have not plowed with it yet though. A friend from my FD has the same truck and plow as mine, one year older, and he has no complaints at all. The length is no issue, we plow roads for our town.

12. EXR

EXR Senior Member

13. 05RedLLY

05RedLLY Junior Member
    from Iowa

Plow with it. It is a great truck. You will love the power of the D-Max whether you are plowing, towing, or having fun.

14. 06dmax

06dmax Member

^^^x2 i just played around with mine today since we didnt get the snow we were supposed to and love how it plows it pushes snow so little effort

15. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I agree...the power is awesome..I went from two 6L gmc's to a dmax.

Just be aware that sales people will try to use the dmax to up the price as much as possible...there are lots out there to choose.

Take a good look at the ones I posted up.