1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would pull plow be better for a decline in front of garage?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by JFon101231, Jan 4, 2013.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Have an '88 K2500 (6 lug) with a Speedcast plow that is about to be retired, and I'm outfitting my '02 2500HD.

Almost done hooking up an 8 foot 3 plug MM1, and about to turn to Stage II. I had bought a back drag edge over the summer (made from an old cutting edge), but haven't installed it yet. My wife's grandmother has a single wide driveway that drops roughly 3-4 feet over about the last 15-20 feet, and also widens out to be two cars wide where there is a garage. I tried to backdrag this last storm of about 7" with just the regular edge but was having traction issues (the '88 is peg leg rear). Will I be fine backdragging this area with my '02 since it has limited slip in the rear and I spent dough on Nokian LT tires, or would this be easier if I spent some money on a Daniels? I found one for sale locally for about $800. The '02 is also a CCSB, so I think it would put the other wheels more towards the top of the hill which I would think would help. This past storm I ended up having to shovel most of it out, not fun and I'd prefer to not do it again since she is the stubborn type that insists on helping though she's ~70!

I do roughly 10 driveways per storm over about 5", and I'm not looking to make this my full-time job but if I can do it easier and faster to get back home and play in the snow, I'd be happy. I'm not sure whether a pull plow will help on most of the other drives since most are L shape and there isn't a whole lot of room to turn around a truck this long, plus another 3' for the pull plow.