1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would "plow feet" help?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LocalTouch, Jan 17, 2003.

1. LocalTouch

LocalTouch Junior Member
    from Ohio

I recently picked up a commercial account, the other contractor basically was unreliable, did not have lot cleared by agreed time, so I picked it up (at an awesome rate!). My problem is in the rear of the property the surface is just dirt and gravel. From big trucks driving through, the surface has deep tire tracks (from before the ground froze), and when plowing the plow constantly gets tripped up on the tracks. Of course I back-drag this part, but it still is extremely rough. Would "plow feet" help in this situation, or would they just get caught too? When back-dragging, i also pick the plow up an inch or so, doesnt really seem to do a good job. Please give me some expert advice!

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

Shoes will not help you, matter of factly not much will.
    my advice to you...wait for a few warm days then go over with the plow and smoth it out and hopefully it will freeze again before the trucks ride over it.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The best thing to do IMO is to install a urethane edge. That way all the impact and bumps will be absorbed by the edge rather than transmitted to the plow and truck. Call me at 860-608-1842 for deatils and price quotes. We do several gravel lots that others dont want to plow because of urathne edges.
  4. captdevo

captdevo PlowSite.com Sponsor

is it common for the urethane to get chipped on the front edge?

i used mine for a couple hours on pavement, and now it has chips and small chunks out of the very front edge.

will it be worse on gravel?

it doesn't seem to effect the 'squeegee' clean removal, and quietness..but...will it wear faster?
  5. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

IMO, there's no way to do a good job in rutted dirt, even with a Urethane edge. There's just no way to scrape it. I take that back, a dozer will do it. IMO, eventually you will break the plow trying to do the dirt. I'd explain to the customer about the rutting, and have a seperate plow depth for the back of the lot. Let the trucks pack the first few inches, and skim off anything over that. We can do the impossible for a while, but sooner or later someting breaks.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Marble size and smaller chips are common, anything larger than that is cause for alarm. Everytime a small chip comes off that edge, it just saved your truck and plow from a harsh impact.
    And if the area is super rutted , I agree even a u edge wont be 100% effective, but it will be alot better than a steel edge.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2003
  7. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

You might also consider Compaction Equipment. A good drum roller, dozer, or other equipment might be worth the try. Make sure you speak with the contact about the problems you see and suggest some "fixes" for it and see what they think. After you are able to have a somewhat "flat" surface to work with, I would agree that the U-edge should do better that a conventional steel blade. I don't have the U-edge yet, but it's my next purchase. I have seen them in action on gravel and Dino is right, they do a much better job with not picking up as much gravel and dirt and should offer some assistance with saving your plow and truck. Just my .02. Good luck and let us know what your end result is. :D