1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would my current truck be good to use

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bigmike1289, Aug 24, 2008.

1. bigmike1289

bigmike1289 Junior Member

i have a 1982 ford bronco with a 4 speed manual transmission the truck is in good shape and the guy who i bought it from dropped a 351 winsdor in it the truck runs great i was just wonder if this truck would be good for plowing and what brand plow and other items i should get to be ready for this coming season also the truck has a 4 inch lift with 33/12.5/15 tires i bought the truck to go offroad but my uncle has been plowing for 2 years and says i should look into it

2. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

it would be fine for plowing. a manual trans will get annoying. also any 7'-7.5' plow would probobly be fine on it.

3. bigmike1289

i have no problem with manual trans i know how annoying it can get. any particular brand of plow that u would suggest

4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Oh boy!:dizzy: Depends on who you talk to, everybody on here has there own opinions, a good way to start is to see who has dealers in your area.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Find out what brand you can get service for. The best plow in the world is nothing but a boat anchor if it's broke down and you can't get parts.

You'll need to run ballast and I would suggest timbrens. Matched with the right 7'6" blade Broncos can make great driveway machines.

You can run about any plow (with in-reason) on that truck, it's to old to be effected by the FVMSSA.

6. bigmike1289

yea i pretty much only want it to do drive ways anyway thanks for the help

7. bigmike1289

whats fvmssa?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Federal Vehicle Manufacturers Safety Standards Act, The part that effects snowplows is 105 Brake Certification. Limits certain vehicles as to the amount of weight they can carry on the front axle. a 7'6' blade would be excellent.

The only issue is your truck is lifted, research to see if you can find a mount that will work with the lift kit.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get some fans and some rear heat to keep the back and side windows from fogging up.

10. bigmike1289

what is like the average cost for a plow like around 3,000 new?

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Since your truck has a lift kit, I would look at a Boss plow because there plow mounts are adjustable.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Like used. researching today I heard everything from 4,700 to 5,600

13. bigmike1289

also i have a winch bumper on it do u think i would be able to put a plow on it or would the winch bumper stick out to far