1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would i be able to work with this?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fordsho, Sep 24, 2006.

1. fordsho

fordsho Junior Member

I live in Northern Jersey and we have snowfall from time to time and i wanted to get into this buissness for a while but never really had the courage! but i have questions and i hope that you all nice people can answer them. i have been reading and there is very intresting topics but anyway back to my questions!

Would i be able to work with a 1986 ford Bronco that has a Hydrawlic snowplow.. it has 78,000 miles and i could pick it up for $500 I want to start small....

How would i be able to get buissness where can i advertise that i might get some buissness from? Id like to do both comercial and residential Propertys.

I goto school from 8:00am-3:30pm if i worked after those times and i really put in good hours would i be able to make "some" money.

Im looking for price ideas and how to start out and it would really help me if i had someone to help me out. im completely lost and this is the first time i am attemting this.

Why type of license/ insurance do i have to get?

and anything i might have missed that a beginner like me might need please post it.... sorry for the annoyingly long post but id really like to make alittle money! thank you for all your help in advance!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No problem with the length of the post. Sure you can use that Bronco, but make sure it can be registered and licensed and the plow works.

At your age, you're going to have some limitations and some problems. It's not likely that you want to do any commercial at this point. You don't have the time to commit, you're insurance costs for commercial would be very high and and starting out with commercial is just asking for trouble. You'd be better off sticking with driveways for the first year, at least.

You're going to need Commercial Liability insurance for the vehicle and General Liability for what's called "Completed Operation" or slip and fall type claims.

Best type of advertising is word of mouth. Tell everyone you know that you're plowing snow. You might be able to put a small notice up at the local convenience store or in the local shopper paper.

Last piece of advice - Start small and grow slow. Many, many guys go out of business because they tried to grow too fast.

Now go to the gray tool bar and click on the "search" button. Type in anything you want to know more about - such as "starting business" "insurance" or "advertising" and spend hours reading.

3. fordsho

fordsho Junior Member

Thank you very much!! you have been very very helpfull.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

how old are you? if under 18 you probably won't be able to get comm. insurance or any insurance in your own name, so your parents would have to put it in their name for you...i believe. I am 16, so i can't get it on my own either. Anyway, that bronco will work for you like what mick said, everything on it works. I would really suck if one day the plow didn't lift or the motor wouldn't start becuase it was crap and you had to borrow parents car and drive around and shovel all your driveways....honestly, in your position, ide stay away from commercials for awhile because of school. I have three commercials lined up so far this year (condos and some other biz that i dont' know what they do!!) and have about 20 residentials...so far. I have other people that can plow for me durring the day if i need them to or if its a bad storm and school hasn't been canceled, i just keep on plowing and make up the school work. So far ive only got one plow only on my truck, but at the rate things are going, ill probably put one on my suburban as well.....ANYWAY!!!haha... take it slow, as im assuming youve never plowed before, it is something you need to learn and you can't learn in a day, ive been plowing since i was 8 years old and still learn something new all the time when im out there plowing. good luck, this is a great site if you have any questions.

5. fordsho

fordsho Junior Member

yea im 17 and im going to be under my parrents insurrance. i have been using a plow for a couple of years now and i know how to control it fairly well i just have never decided to work for my own. i have a company set up but i dont know how am i going to market. i own a 1989 Ford Taurus SHO right now and i am planing on selling that and getting the bronco that i mensioned for 500 and have alittle money for like insurrance and marketing fees. does anyone know how much should i expect to spend! thanks!

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That really depends so much on individual circumstances, but for General Liability I'd guess about $12,000 for you for doing driveways only. BUT, you may not be able to get GL unless your truck has Commercial Vehicle insurance ( this may be what you're planning when you say you'll be under your parent's insurance, but it won't work that way).

Bottom line - if you plan on plowing for a business, it isn't the same as "using a plow for a couple of years now". I'd really suggest you do your research BEFORE you commit to any purchases. And plowing without the appropriate insurance is the same as plowing with no insurance at all.

7. fordsho

fordsho Junior Member

Thats very true what you said mick! im tring my best to learn wat i can i have spent countless hours on this site and im planing on to so i can learn everything i hope i can overcome everything and be sucessfull!

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

small newspaper ad works great here for plowing accounts.

9. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

i know its late and all but i thought i read that someone said 12k for insurance? no way it could be that much on one truck plow and GL just call around and find yourselfa good rate and youll be fine....the only thing is that is the plow is fully hydaulic and not eletric over hydro then it will be a lil slower plowing but if the trcuks in great shape go with it and use it till you can buy better, everyone had to start somewhere