1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would appreciate opinions

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by drivewaydoctor, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Hey guys,

I have been asked to bid on this job. Where we are located all contracts are per season not per push. General rule of thumb in my area is a 1" trigger. Clients are billed monthly. So, what would you charge monthly to clear this lot with a 1" trigger?

Opinions are much appreciated.

lot.jpg

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't, for me something like that would be hourly.

3. Doesn't work that way here snowguy.

4. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

I probably couldn't help... i'd way overinflate so I didn't lose my butt... do you have to do all the unpaved stuff too? What's the square foot?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not less then 75000.00for the season

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you salting? If so the back half looks like gravel or similar, would you salt that too? Do you have a sq footage, it doesn't look that big but a real pain to put the snow.

GV, I think the $75,000 is high.

7. I haven't looked at the sqf yet. It is a fair size. Yes everything gets salted. That's rows of lumber in the back and thier customers need to access the lumber to pick out their own products.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Is that US dollars or Canada Dollars

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The front looks pretty easy but the back is a PITA. I would want a loader or tractor in there, at least for the back. Maybe 4 hours and 3000-3500lbs of salt.

10. grandview

I bet the back half is all stone so that means more time plowing. =mo'money!

11. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I don't think it is anywhere close to that GV, like...not even close. Good luck John!

12. jerzeyguy

jerzeyguy Junior Member
    from 07080

Charge by the hour , thus way you don't get hurt.

13. grandview

How many plows per season in that area?

14. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Square footage, production rates are necessary to bid this or anything. Come up with those and you will be a long way down the road. All else is opinion and guess work.

15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Listen to Herm. ^^^^^

Why would you salt gravel areas?

Have you ever salted gravel areas before?

16. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

^^Haha. My thoughts exactly!

17. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

gravel gets ice on it too. I would say it wont need to be salted every snow but will need to be watched. the season before last I spread 3 tons of salt/sand mix a couple times a week between my house and lot where equipment is stored and a neighbors hog barn yard. about all I did in march and april of 2013

18. 1. Because thats what the client wants
    2. Because that is a heavy foot traffic area for customers

19. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Must be fun to plow, continuously creating a freeze/thaw using salt on gravel.

I thought salt worked from the bottom up through the salt?

20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I'll interpret that as a no.

I don't subscribe to the customer is always right motto. I subscribe to educating the customer when the customer doesn't really understand what he's asking for.