1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would an '89 K5 Blazer work well??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Love2fish, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Love2fish

Love2fish Junior Member
    from 80302

Hey Guys,
    I have an opportunity to get an '89 K5 Blazer Cheap and am thinking about putting this (20 year) old Meyers plow on it (see photo) from an old Scout. The Scout needs a motor and is really tired, otherwise I'd fix 'er up, but the real question is, Will the K5 blazer make as robust a plow vehicle as the Scout? I've heard the frame and axels aren't as good. I plow a long private road with 11 houses on it. Takes about two hours with 4" of snow. Also, the K5 has some sort of electrical issue I'll have to address... Everytime she hits a rut, she blows a fuse and the motor quits. Must be a short somewhere...
    Thanks for any advise!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Blazer's make a great plow vehicle. I had a 79' with a C-8 Meyer on the front and it was one of the best plowing trucks I've ever had. If you go with the 89' and it has an auto trans,your weak link won't be the frame or the axle's, It'll be the tranny. The 700R4's aren't the heaviest duty trans out there by far and they'll only take so much abuse before they fail, but a lot of it depend's on the operator. But being a late's 80's GM truck parts are cheap and plentiful so it would be a lot easier and cheaper to repair than the scout.
  3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

that does'nt look like a meyers plow
  4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

It's a Western.................
  5. '89 blazer would make awesome plow truck...I had one before my current 2500HD

Plusses: 106" wheel base make it very manueverable...more so than even a short box reg cab p/u. '89 is throttle body injected....excellent drivability...starts easy...idles nicely...provides reasonable economy (for a V8) running down the road. Also..TBI is very simple...makes easy work environment under the hood. Also, Everything on these trucks is pretty cheap to repair...plenty of used parts. Much of the stuff is compatible way back to 1973! Heavy package provides good traction as long as you keep narrow tire.

Minuses: Trans...but it depends on driver. I neve had any problem in 30K of purely plowing in mine...BUT...I'd agree that it is the week link to the truck followed closely by rear axle. With factory G80 or gov lock...I've had problems with oversize tires...doesnt like the sudden call to start a 35" grippy tire....rear end explodes. BUT...rear ends are cheap and plentifull. Rust gets these trucks....'87-91 floor pans deteriorate beneath front seats and up wall where seatbelt is secured. Tailgate crossmemeber on bod rots away with the floor too...rendering tailgate useless. Often rear window stops working...then you stop opening tailgate...so its hinges freeze up. Then you get time to fix window...and go to open tailgate...its hinges dont work and you end up ripping crossmember off the body! BUT...again...tons of cheap replacement panels available.

My dream was (wife killed it and talked me into sinking money into truck payment rather than build-up of truck): replace blazer body with p/u cab and flatbed with shor sides (for visibility), add 1-ton axles and retain 4" lift with tall narrow tires (at this height...didnt even need plow lights...and stayed cool with plow on even running down highway+airflow to radiator not blocked by plow).
  6. hey...on another note...my buddies suburban had same thing...hit bump and fuse blows. I'll try to remember to ask him to see if he ever resolved it...might be an inherint thing to these trucks. Betting its a bad body mount though...maybe pinching a wire or something when flexing. PM me if I dont respond...I'll call my buddy.
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Looking to get rid of the Scout? Otherwise I'd say keep it & put a new(er) plow on the Blazer. Yeah, I was also scratching my head thinking that was a Western (from the pump & plowframe).
  8. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

One place to check...

I cannot remember what years this was common on but check behind the steering box for frame cracks on the blazer....A friend of mine used to have a 4x4 shop and frame cracking behind the steering box was common on some Gm's...He would plate them up not a huge repair but something to watch out for.
    On the flip side back east here Blazers and Scouts used to be very popular plow rigs at the local gas stations,seems like everyone had one or the other when I was growing up.....
  9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 89' K5 Blazer and if wasn't for not wanting any of my drivers messing up my 99' (2000 body style) I would be in it, actually when everything has been done and maybe just clean-up I'll jump in the Blazer for that. If I didn't need a truck that's all I woud have for plowing is Blazers.