1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would an 800# ezdumper be enough ballast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Nov 13, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

im just wondering. say someone has an ez dumper in their halfton (i dont im just wondering). and they wanted a plow. would they need ballast in their bed sense the dumper weighs so much?
  2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Mark, most guys generally go with about 75% ballest of the plow weight. example 600 lb plow = 450 lb ballast A salter ect will usaully be enough.
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

for a 1/2 ton the 800 lb dump and plow will put you close to your GVWR. it should be plenty of wieght though, depending on how much the plow weighs.
  4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I also agree with the above.
  5. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Yes, that might be enough weight but...that 800#'s is now distributed to BOTH your front axle and rear axle. The proper thing to do is get the weight/ballast behind your rear axle. Thereoritically speaking, it would put all the weight onto the rear axle. And...this is what the purpose of the ballast is, leveling out the added weight to your front axle.
  6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

wow really botched the spelling of that one, sorry, Theoretically.
  7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

yep your correct, it was 2:15am. I usually go to bed at 10pm. so I was a little tired, a little wired, and what ever the rest of the quote is from gone in 60 seconds.