1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would a

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by westernboy16, Feb 5, 2006.

1. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

would a 2001 gmc 2500 HD with the 8.1 liter V8 have an allison transmision

If not what year did the allison come out

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

No, they put them in 2wd Dakotas that year

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Let's simmer down gentlemen. :nono: Westernboy16, do a search on a chevrolet or allison related site...you should be able to find out easy enough. I do believe that truck would have the Allison.:)

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The Allison 1000 6-speed transmission is offered with the Vortec 81000 V8 or the Duramax 6600 Turbo Diesel V8

I have no idea when Allison started making trannys.

5. westernboy16

the allison is just an option for them right so what is probablity that it is in a 2001 GMC 2500HD

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

7. westernboy16

snofarmer
    i know that but it is an option for 2500HD so this truck could have the normal 4 speed in it

8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Its not an OPTION for the 8.1. If you get the 8.1 you HAVE to get the allison. The allison is only an OPTION in the 6.0's.

But westernboy, wtf man, I thought u were getting a dakota, and before you said "It's final this time, im going with a dakota"....

lol, jk, im just givin u a hard time, hope that info helped.

9. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Ok the 8.1 and the 6.6 Diesel came with the Allison 5 speed automatic or the manual. In 06 the Allison became the 6 speed auto. If you get the 6.0 gas it is either the 4L80E auto or the manual. Never hurts to ask questions, just try the search feature a little next time.

William

10. westernboy16

my grandpa was looking to get that truck and semi start a plowing buisness with me

11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Are you sure about that? I don't think you can the Allison at all with the 6.0.

12. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Your right. Just the diesels and 8.1's. But with those, its mandatory to get an allison if you want an auto.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  13. Ive Heard

I have heard rumors that as of 06 you can get an allison with the 6.0! But I don't know that for a fact!

14. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I assume this is true. If you go to chevys website and price up a truck you can add the option of the Allison 6speed to the 6.0L for $2,295.

15. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

No you do not have to get the alison with the 8.1 liter...you still can get the standard automatic the (4L80E) With the duramax if you want and automatic you have to get the allison because the HP and torque of the duramax is to high for the 4L80E. To further complicate things if you wans a standard you can get the 5 speed or the 6-speed (ZF6), but only the 5 speed on the latest duramaxes (LBZ... LB7s and LLYs can still get the ZF6). :dizzy:

So having said that a 2001 HD with the 8.1 cand have the 4L80, the standard 5 speed manual, the ZF6, or the allison...

16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

No this is not possible... the 6.0 you can only get the 5 speed manual or the 4L80E automatic...

17. amar

amar Member

The Ally is not aval. on the 6.0 because it robs to much power from the engine.

6.0 not enough HP for the Ally

The Allison costs $2432.70 after tax. Thats almost the cost to rebuild a 4L80E If you ever have to. The Allison only goes 15mph in reverse. The trans has issues with leaking, not shifting to OD...

The 4L80E Is a proven trans. Like a rock.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

GMC VEHICLE

Transmissions & Axles

Reg/Ext/Crew Cab Ext/Crew Cab
    Work
    Truck SL
    2SA SLE
    3SA SLE
    3SB SLT
    4SA
    Rear axle, 3.73 ratio
    Rear axle, 4.10 ratio
    Transmission, 4-speed automatic, heavy-duty, electronically controlled with overdrive, tow/haul mode and external transmission oil cooler (Requires Vortec 6000 V8. Standard with Extended and Crew Cab Models)
    Transmission, 5-speed manual with overdrive (Requires Vortec 6000 V8, Standard on Regular Cab Models Only)
    Transmission, 6-speed manual, heavy-duty with overdrive (Requires Vortec 8100 V8 or Duramax 6600 Turbo Diesel V8)
    Transmission, Allison 1000 6-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive and electronic engine braking, includes tow/haul mode selector and external transmission oil cooler (Requires Vortec 8100 V8 or Duramax 6600 Turbo Diesel V8)

19. westernboy16

thanks guys i really liked all the info and i will let him know

20. I beg to differ on the tranny

i have told this story before, but I will tell it again. A few months back, I had to have my 99's tranny rebuilt. When I brought it in, I asked the tranny shop guy how the allisons were holding up. He said "they are a dreaM!" In all the time theve been out, he's only had to work on 1.... yes 1, and it wasn't even a rebuild, it was a front main seal. As for the new dodges and fords. he sees them in just as much as any other vehicle. But the OWNER of the tranny shop LOVES the allison.