1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would a flat bed look>dumb on short bed? any one have pice of a truck w a flat bed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lawnmasters2006, Mar 8, 2009.

1. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

thinking about installing a flat bed on my work truck,1997 chevy ext cap short box.

just dont want it to look dumb...any pics out there?
  2. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

must be slow on plow site...:confused:
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I think a flatbed on anything other than a dually looks really stupid...thats just me though!
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Its not just you;)
  5. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Form follows function

If its going to do the job required then do it

If it's just for show skip it
    our '96 &'06 are SRW reg cab conversions. used as equipment haulers
  6. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I saw a utility body on a crew cab shortbox frame the other day during a storm, and i have to say it did look very strange.
  7. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

I used to think the same thing that they would look dumb. I took the approach of Heather lawn spray and decided that form following function was the correct way to look at it.

Hillsboro has been making a 7X7 bed for years in steel and alum. Put one on my X cab Superduty short bed a little over a year ago. Works great. Don't care that it looks short on the truck....It is a short bed after all.

Try to wrestle up some picts but till then you can see it on the YouTube link Jerresservice and look at the videos of the snow blower.

8. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

could you post up some pics of your rig? I checked out your vid on youtube but I want to get a better look at how this is going to look. My buddy is putting one on his ec superduty to use as his welding rig and we want to see how it will look. where did you get your bed from? He's been looking around to get the best price with the options he wants but it's not as easy to find one for a shortbed. thanks
  9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

This is nice!
  10. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

That is REAL NICE if you ask me. Well put together.
  11. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

that looks great! that bed is like a work of art. Do you know where it came from? I see the IL plate so it had to be from somewhere local. We found a place in Bartlett that sells the CM truck bodies. He wants a steel bed with fenders, kind of like a western hauler style.
  12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

That's one of GLS (Ryan's) trucks. He's in the Q.C./Moline area.
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Holy smokes that looks good. I've seen that dmax but it had a bed, cap, and no lightbar on it.
    That truck's in the Moline area. They are the people I bought my plow from. Very good people to deal with and really nice equipment that they take good care of.

Search the site for GLS to see their white dodge with the flatbed also.
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hi Jerre, That Hillsboro bed he has is sweet! Looks great with all the LED's. If I needed a flat bed thats the one I would def. go with.
  15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

There was a thread on LS where a guy built his own flatbed, it turned out really good. green truck, a new one, the thread has to be a year or two old at this point but worth trying to find. He had tons of pictures from a-z, used it to haul 2 Z's around for mowing, or was it one Z and one wb, i don't know, doesn't matter. Just look for the thread, worth it.
  16. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I know that truck. I bought my backrack and hitch from him. Last time I saw it there was a bed on it.
  17. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Don't care what it looks like, as much as what it does for us. Just put a flatbed on a 96 3/4 4x4 Ford ext. cab. East to work from with a spreader on the back. Bags on the side.
  18. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Awesome wheels on that dmax! The bed is cool too.
  19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You definetly want aluminum for the weight on a shortbox, otherwise you'll be too heavy. Not sure if you saw my set up with the foldown sides. (which are removable with simple clevis pins.) These are 1 ton SRW.

Starfleet 003.jpg
  20. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Hey Mr. M, nice looking garage setup you got there.