1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

would a 6' 8" plow be too narrow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MikeRi24, Dec 11, 2008.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

"lets just say" I was to upgrade my Jeep to a 1/2 ton pickup as it would better suit my landscaping business. My Jeep plow is 6' 8" and I know that the manufacturer outs this series plow in 1/ tons, so it would be a matter of getting the right mount and running wires, but the plow should switch over. I'm worried about the width of the plow though, like when I angle it, will it be too narrow for a 1/2 ton?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Yes Yes Yes
  3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

It would not be wide enough. A 7' 6" is just about as wide as the truck when angled. The 7.6 is probably the smallest you can go with a half ton or any full size truck
  4. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Perhaps I will stick to my original plan of buying an older, 2wd truck to use for landscaping in the summer.
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A 7.5' is the smallest you can put a full size truck IMO.
  6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I would even consider an S10 or a Dakota, but SnowDogg doesnt make a mount for those yet.
  7. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

can you fab up a set of wings for your dogg?? wings very easily add on another foot of plow width
  8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

An MD68 doesn't belong on a 1/2T truck of any sort. You also shouldn't put wings on it. The MD75 has 2 extra ribs - but I still wouldn't put wings on that.

You could buy an MD75 moldboard when you upgrade, or you could upgrade your whole plow to an HD75.

Just the designer's opinion here. The MD68 was designed to be 80" long, and no longer. It's really a driveway/personal/small parking lot plow.

Scott Moorman
    SnowDogg Plows
  9. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

yeah I will prob end up buying an older 2wd truck just to use for hauling my mowers and landscaping stuff around. use that for a few years then get rid of that and the Jeep and consolidate into one 3/4 ton 4wd truck and buy a new plow at that time.