1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Would a 2 WD 1 ton Dually work?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjmstaff, Jan 1, 2004.

1. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I have friend looking at a 1989 1 ton GMC Dually and he wants to put a plow on. He asked me if it would work and I told him I would ask you guys. It has a 3 yrd dump on the back. It looks like it would to me but I wanted some more input before I said anything to him.

2. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

It should be fine. It may need a little weight in back, just watch where you go. We have a 1987 1 ton dump 2wd with a plow and v-box. Never had a problem pushing snow.

3. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Did you leave the duals on it?

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

chains both wheels for the best traction like dpw or the state uses i dont see a problem

5. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Duals are still on it and he was talking about getting a hopper

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I have a 1979 Ford 1 ton 2 wheel drive that I used for 4 winters of plowing. I put a couple of tons of ballast in the bed and some aggresive mud/snow tires on the duals. It worked good on all but a couple of very steep drives. The key to using a two wheel drive is good tires and the correct amount of rear ballast. I usually carry 1000 lbs. of salt in my 1994 Chevy 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive truck. There are alot of times I don't have to use the 4 wheel drive.

7. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I was just wondering 'cause I do see a few duallies going 'solo'.

8. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I was just talking to him one the phone and he said the truck was painted white. Under the hood is all orange so my guess is was a county owned truck at one time.

9. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I had a 1986 Gmc 3500 2wd Mason dump with stick shift and plowed with it till last year. It would have plowed this year too but a 84 year old lady didn't think she had to stop at a red light and T boned it at 50 mph.

You need a 8 1/2 plow to keep all 4 back tires on clean pavement. Put 2 ton clean stone in back. Don't use sand it will freeze and you wont get it out till spring. don't do driveways with it if it get stuck you have to shovel it out or call for pull. It works good in parking lots and streets. Don't plow down a slope if tires get on icy spot it wont able to back out, push up hill or across hill. I plowed with that truck for 17 years. In 96 i plowed 36" storm with it with bald tires. I alway meant to get chains for it but never did. Plowing with it is an art form as you hace to think hoe to keep the truck on clean pavement.

10. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I have a 89' F450 2wd dump with a 9' western uni-mt. and a v-box that we plow with. The truck can move alota snow as long as you have a good driver in it. My truck does large parking lots only and 90% of the time is just driving aroung in circles or doing long stright runs. I also have realy aggresive tires on in, the truck works fine as long as it's used for large lots or roads, you just can't try to push piles back to much.

11. MSC

MSC Member

Yes, it will work.
    Just don't get too brave.
    Here's a 2wd that works every storm.

gmc.jpg

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I use a 3500 (one ton) DRW but it's 4wd. It's also got pretty aggressive tires with studs all around. This year I left off the inside tires and performance improved dramatically (not that it was bad before). Running the duals you will tend to run on top of the snow. With two tires, there is more weight on each one, biting further into the snow and leading to better traction. I also bought chains for this year, but haven't used them yet. Then I have a 2yd sander I put a yard of sand in just for ballast.

The advise you're getting about staying with parking lots and roads is very good. You'll need 4wd for most driveways with any snow depth, inclines, backing up inclines or pushing piles. Another thing to be very careful of is don't let snow get behind your moldboard. If you bury the A frame, you will be stuck. I had that problem last year with the DRW even with 4wd. Taking the two inside tires off solved that problem. This year I've run around burying the A frame and everything else I can think of to get stuck. Haven't managed to do it yet, even when I was stacking and sank the front end into the pile.

13. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have a 1992 F-450 4x2 IdI 7.3 diesel with a 9' meyers.This truck is used a 100% comm. plowing. It has a utility body loaded down with tools and a welder and air compressor,so it has alot of wieght on it.

14. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

2wd duallys work just fine as long as there is enough weight in the back. put a 9ft plow on it :)

15. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I have a plow on my dump dually 2wd, if it gets deep, I put the chains on which are unbearable on clean pavement. I try to leave it on the biggest lot I do. I also try to keep the 4wd trucks close just in case. If this was my only rig, I would network with some local people just in case you need to be pulled out. I have gotten stuck in minimal snow where it melted during the day, froze at night and I got caught in low corner.