1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worth their weight in gold?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by redplow, Feb 20, 2009.

1. redplow

redplow Member

I have heard a lot about timbrens on this site. I just purchased a new v plow and was wondering if they will actually help my suspension. I Was also wondering if they are any other ways besides air bags to help out my suspension. I was reading a lot about tweaking/tightening the torsion bars, but would like to stay away from that. Do they offer upgraded suspension or anything like that? Also are timbrens their weight in gold?
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Go with timberens. I also turn t bars 2 full turns in fall then back in spring. With the weight of a v on the front of a chevy in my opinion this is your best option. I know of people who have run air bags and they have poped on them. I am not sure about an upgrade but you could look into it.
  3. redplow

redplow Member

How hard is it to adjust the torsion bars, and once you do do you need an alignment
  4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

got the timbrens and I don't touch the t-bars
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

It's not hard. Go under truck and there should be a bross member running from frame side to frame side. You will see 2 o(ne on each side) bold heads. Grab a permenant marker and draw a line on one side of bolt head and then mark a fixed area next to the line you drew. It should look something like this ---- --------- Depending on how new or rusted the bolots are you may need to spray with fluidfilm/wd 40. Place socket and wrench on bolt and turn go a little at a time removing the socket to see progress. Like I said I go 2 turns in fall and then back in spring. If you were to leave it turned up all year then yes you would need to have it aligned.

I run Timbrens on front and turned my torsion bars all the way up. I used a tape measure to make sure the fender wells were the same height on both sides then took it to be aligned. I have my truck aligned once a year as a long time friend is the alignment man at the local tire store so it only costs me a 12 pack of Corona's to have it done. Timbrens will be on the rear soon! Keith
  7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Air bags are by far the way to go, for the rear anyways, since you cant run them up front.....
    If you dont need them. dont run them.... all they do is just make it ride a WHOLE lot ruffer... I dont care what anyone says to that
  8. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

you can run the firestone air shocks up front, 02Duramax has them on his truck.
  9. redplow

redplow Member

oh i forgot to mention that i have a 98 chevy 2500
  10. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Timbrens = :drinkup:
  11. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I have a V plow and the timbrens, I don't adjust my T Bars
    works fine
  12. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I think gold would be cheaper! :jester:

But they do work . I installed a set on my 97 k3500 with a Boss 8.2V. No difference in "empty" ride quality. When plow is mounted, the Timbrens definately help support the extra weight. ( I just dont understand why they cost what they do? :confused: )
  13. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

You're right. You should grab $10 worth of rubber and bolts and make your own. There's no reason to pay some company for figuring out how to mold and shape those rubber donuts if you can do it yourself cheaper! ;)

I don't own a rubber factory so I just paid Timbren to make 'em for me. It was cheaper than starting my own factory and I get WAY more value out of the product than what I paid. You aren't paying for the materials so much as you are for the benefit of having them.
  14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Regarding his not seeing why they cost what they do, I think that was a legitimate question. It is an awful lot of money for $10 worth of rubber and bolts. Obviously they need to make money, plus cover their R&D plus the overhead of their expansive factory, but come on, do you really think they should cost more than $100 a pair? There's no moving parts for crying out loud.
  15. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

What he said.
  16. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

As long as there is demand - and there certainly is - they can charge what they do. Simple case of Economics 101.

Doesn't it just pi$$ you off when someone else comes up with that great idea, and then is able to take it to market before you do?!?!?
  17. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That is true, but they stand by there product. I broke one and had a new one two days later for free. I will put them on all my chevys and GMC.
  18. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I agree great product.
    A person that would pay to have them installed, would probably never question their cost. BUT when I opened that box, 2/3rds of it was filled with un-needed plasic bubble wrap.

Removing the packing ,I found two pcs of 1/2 beer can size rubber, and 5 bucks worth of dimestore hardware. I thought... 150 bucks..... for 40 or 50 bucks(if that) of material ... "These better work".

Let me be the first to say.. They DO work... and thank goodness I'll never have to buy another set for this truck. I looked at some cheaper brands, but decided to go with the best... Right now Im glad I did.
  19. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I had the same reaction as "old skool" when I opened the box: "Why did I just pay $150 for THIS?" 45 minutes later as I backed out of the driveway, I had my answer. The raw material isn't worth anywhere near $150, but I'd gladly pay it again for the benefit it provides.
  20. redplow

redplow Member

so where is the best/ most price efficient place to buy timbrens. Also is it a good idea to get them for the back or do i just need the for the front