1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worth the price?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jt5019, Sep 26, 2003.

1. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Just came across this ad today its a 1996 f350 4x4 with a minute mount plow 67k miles.They are asking 15,995 for it.The truck looks excellent condition but they dont show the plow.I figure you can talk them down a little.Seems the dealer is asking a bit high to me for a 1996 but it does look pretty sharp. http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/8/6/56654586.htm

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

It does seem a little on the high side but he might be willing to deal with you. Some things to check for, spark plugs, be certain they are not seized into the head. This can be very expensive to have removed. Second, oil pan, check HARD for leaks. A truck that new might not have any problems as far as rot goes, but the pans are thin and have a tendency to rot out fairly quickly. Third exhaust manifolds need to be checked for cracks. Its been my experience small block fords have a tendency to crack them. Good luck :waving: .
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

JD's right, Fords are notorious for rusted pans. If there's anyblistering at all on the pan , I'd insist it be replaced before purchasing.
  4. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

This seems very high to me. I just bought a new truck (haven't even picked it up yet) so I have been looking and researching later models Fords a lot. I just passed on a 2000 F350, 52,000 miles 4x4, no plow for $15,500. Found a new 2003 F250 with a 8' western plow for $24,500.

Going back to the truck you are considering, I am assuming it is not a diesel. If that is the case I would keep looking. While having a plow is attractive, remember how much snow we got last year. That's a lot of wear and tear on that truck.

Check out www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com to check current market prices.
  5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I looked up the truck in kelly blue book, with a lot of options im not even sure the ford has it was only coming back around 11,300.The dealer is a small company and he was not willing to lower his price much so i walked away.I could get a 99 dodge 2500 54,000 miles mint condition for less then that.