1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worth getting a diesel?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by U1200, Oct 22, 2009.

1. U1200

U1200 Member

At the last minute I've been advised to get a plow/salter truck setup for this winter. This will be my first experience dealing with a pickup truck for any sort of plowing. My background is I've had 94, 97, 01, 02, 03 and now 06 Dodge all with Cummins and 5 or 6 speed manuals. Needless to say I love dodge/cummins trucks but want to try and be practical for once.

I want a 94-98 12V or a 94-02 360 2500. I'll have my 06 for any towing but feel more comfortable with a diesel since I know my way around them so much better. So would you pay the extra $3K or so for the diesel or settle for a 360?
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Go diesel.
  3. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

Well I personally would get the 12v cummins. Reason being, you obviously have had great luck with all of your trucks, you get more torque out of a Diesel rather than the 360 gas (I have the 360 in my truck). The 360 has plenty of power and torque, but cummins would definitely beat it. Plus if you know your way around the diesel's already, why learn about a new engine?? JMO.

Hang a 8 or 9' fisher on the front and go to work.

I would think that you want to go 24v 98-06 for your next truck. Potentially less repair on a newer truck, and better technology in the engine and they run a little quieter, but the 12v's are great from what people say.

good luck,
  4. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I have the hemi on my 08 2500 and don't feel it would have been worth the extra money for the diesel... Don't get me wrong - it'd be fun to have - but I don't need it to plow and if anything, for what I do with the truck, it would be more trouble that it worth improving/maintaining the front end.
  5. U1200

U1200 Member

Thanks for the replies guys, pretty much what I thought myself. Forgive my ignorance on this but is there a particular reason you recommend a fisher to put on there?
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on if you're trying to compensate for shortcomings.

Or going for the cool factor.

J\K :laughing::laughing:

Probably because he's from Massachusetts and if it isn't a Fisher they don't know what to do with them. :popcorn::popcorn:
  7. plowmaster07

Well thanks there mark! not.:mad: :laughing: The only reason I would recomend fisher, them and boss are the main plows you see around here, I have a meyer on my truck, I would seriously have to try the new meyer's before I get another one.

So Mark? what are you running for plows???
  8. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Go diesel, if you ever need to increase the engine output, the diesel is much easier to upgrade, and much cheaper to do.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Touchy, touchy, touchy.

I don't have any plows, I'm a 15 YO girl from Florida.

BUT, I do have the plowing contracts for all the Sam's and WM in Miami. xysport
  10. plowmaster07

Im sure:nod:. good money in them eh??? wesport:laughing:
  11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id go diesel if you ever want to sell it at least the diesel will retain its value alot better than the gas job, althogh a gas job is fine for plowing but with a loaded sander and plow on the truck the extra torque is nice as you probably know. to be honest if i were looking for a gas truck i think i would go to gm, the only reason why i drive a dodge is because of the cummins.. :drinkup:
  12. Mark Oomkes

Duuuuude, you have no idea, like really.
  13. plowmaster07

are you all ready for the snow season? contracts signed and all??
  14. SPD

SPD Inactive

Diesel for sure.

More power and my 24 valve cummins gets 19 MPG
  15. U1200

U1200 Member

I could see plowing in Miami but it would be all the blow, not snow.

Thanks again for the opinions all I was pretty sure I was going to stick with diesel and I would probably regret it if I didn't.
  16. Mark Oomkes

Contracts are like insurance, overrated. :nod:
  17. plowmaster07

i see. :laughing::laughing:
  18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The Midwest is "Western Country"

I'm not sold on the Wideouts yet, but I do like the MVP, I'd opt for one of those if you can find one for a decent price.

Definitely, diesel. I went from a GM350 gas to a Dodge Cummins, night and day difference in both fuel consumption and truck load. These engines have to work much less than the gassers do to push the same blade and same amount of snow.
  19. Mark Oomkes

Do some looking and you'll figure it out.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

This late in the season will be hard to find a good 12valve truck. All the trucks of that era around here are so rotten and soft, needing complete cabs. But they still run good as new!!!

Look in the south for a nice 96-98 12 valver or stick with the newer 3 gen stuff. Although if the price was right I would not pass up a gasser!! For your first season, most of all stick with the auto's.