1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worth competition?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chriscat423, Feb 13, 2010.

1. chriscat423

chriscat423 Member

Hi im just starting my plowing buisness this year and had around 10 houses last storm...there is a local contractor advertising $20 for a driveway 2000 sqft or less...lets just say i got a call thurs and got 2 more houses from this man because i guess he did a bad job and plowed at 9am the next day and around 1 to 1.5 in of snow was left on the driveways because it was packed and frozen beyond belief....my question is people are calling me asking if i can match the price even though im only charging $30 because im new and driveways around here take 10min for everything to b done...i havent dropped my price but should i come down or tell them they get what they pay for because i tell them about his work and they dont believe me think im bad mouthing competition
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Tell them they can call him for the 20 dollar job, get poor service and have 2 inches left on the drive and he shows up whenever or they can pay you 30 for reliable service and quality work.
  3. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Stooping down to his level is not the way to do it. It is obvious that you want the work but stick to your guns and the customers will come. DON'T plow a driveway for $20. Usually that guy doesnt' do it legitly. Doesn't pay sales tax, no insurance, and really just needs beer money.

If you want to be considered a "good contractor" do it by the books. It will only be a benefit in the long run.
  4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

It reminds me of the Office Depot commercial with the guy who has a barber shop and a national hair chain went in across the street and had a sign up that said 6 dollar hair cuts. The guy at the barber shop says, I can compete with 6 dollar hair cuts. So he has a sign made that says we fix 6 dollar hair cuts. Then the national chain goes out of business. I love that commercial. Makes me laugh every time.
  5. chriscat423

chriscat423 Member

lol ya that commercial is great...i should make buisness cards that says i fix $20 snow plow jobs...i figured i was right but just wanted to b sure i shouldnt drop just to get more houses....idk how he makes money spending $ to advertise in a paper and do it so cheap and such a crappy job
  6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

He does a crappy job because he is overwhelmed and cant handle it.
  7. jdo150

jdo150 Member

chriscat423 where in ct are you i'm in the new haven area and have seen that before. Just be firm on your price people find out sooner or later you get what you pay for. good luck with the new business
  8. chriscat423

chriscat423 Member

im in stratford right next to brideport
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

When that happens to me I tell the prospectus customer "OK... I'll plow your driveway for $20.......... But for $20 I wont show up ether" Never lost a sale with that line. payup
  10. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I can tell you that there is NO BOTTOM in this price matching . Like here in N Maine were there is NO money if you play that game, you will never match the lowest price, as there is a much of guys that are older retired fellas, with NOTHING else to do, and they own there truck and plow, and will plow a 10 min driveway, for a six pack and it dont need to be Corona either!