1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worst towing bill??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JimMarshall, Jan 27, 2014.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Surely me and my guys aren't the only ones who screw up, what's the worst screw up and resulting towing bill you have received. One of my better drivers had an (extremely rare) screw up this morning, and it was a doozy... can't wait to get the towing bill from this one.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

any pics on your doozy

I tow my own stuff never had a bill

3. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I had a guy bury a 1 ton dump in a ditch fully loaded with salt. It was pulling the tow truck when he tried to winch it so he chained off to my truck and it was pulling both of us. I tied my truck off to a tree and we BARELY got it out. Bill was next to nothing, maybe a 100 bucks because my buddy owns the towing company, but it was pretty good. I wish I took pictures

4. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Let me get it uploaded. What do you mean you tow your own stuff?

5. JimMarshall

from NW PA

[​IMG]

Truck was about ready to roll, as in I could have leaned on it and put it on its side. Came around the corner of the building in near whiteout conditions and dropped off the parking lot. Like I said, it wasn't me.....

The towing company had their hands full with this recovery.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You should get Triple A towing.

7. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I have it. Does it handle recoveries? Even with it I don't think it would have covered the whole bill.

8. grandview

Just throw the guy 5 bucks.

9. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

My Duramax had a fuel filter o-ring blow out in the cold a week ago, and the tow guy charged me $123 for a 5 minute trip to tow it back to my house. Not too bad.

10. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I don't think you are understanding the severity and work involved here

11. AFSPLOWING

AFSPLOWING Member

I was in the towing business years back.For a typical tow guy to come out in the middle of the night during a storm for a winch out is probably gonna cost 225 for a low.depending on the time and difficulty.Seems you got a good deal in my opinion.

12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I don't think you understand the severity of grandviews comic wit. :rolleyes:

13. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Did he go in on three wheels? Or is it just me?

14. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

$135 to haul big ford E350 van on rollback 20 miles plus 20 miles to get van.

$150 recovery winch Cat 914G in pond from road. That CHEAPEST normally they said it would be $300 but they were my friend.

$75 to haul F250 15 miles on rollback

$125 to haul F450 22 miles on rollback

15. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey, tow truck drivers need to eat steak and lobster too. Only Lizard Lick towing tows for free. What you have to consider is the damage caused by a ill trained driver. What would you have done if in the process of towing the truck, the truck actually rolled, who is responsible then. Recently had a tow company drive out to say that they couldn't tow it because it was blocked in by other cars. Bill for non tow was 225.00

16. mud

mud Senior Member

I've had a few over a grand. When your pulling a heavy goose neck trailer, especially if its full of livestock it complicates things more than a little though. THe really expensive ones were for break downs. I did get a 980 dollar one about a month back when I had the choice of pasting a car that pulled out in front of me in the drivers side or putting my truck in the weeds with 14 round bales on the trailer. The first rig the cops called out was an F-550. I started laughing. Had to have one of the big boy rigs they use on 18 wheeler's come out. That F-550 never had a chance. No damage to the truck or my load though and I was back on the road and hauling within 40 minutes of the big truck showing up.

17. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

My worst tow bill was $535 from South Bend, Indiana back to Cleveland. That was after Triple A Plus plan covered it's part. My one ton got flat bedded on another one ton...it was squattin'.

Triple A is worth having, but a crap shoot...Plow on front, spreader on the back, partial load of salt, commercial plates, a lazy minority driver shows up (Weeeez don't be towin' no commerchial plowin' vehiclez)...radios in to a fat, manly looking, can't get a date dispatcher...and you have a formula for a very complicated and argumentative night ahead of you...the perfect storm.

18. grandview

I do. You should still call them and see if they cover something like that. As for the 5 bucks ,I've tossed the tow guy some money for coffee.

19. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

When you drive a Ford you become best friends with the tow guy and should buy him a coffee every now and then.

20. JimMarshall

from NW PA

The drivers wheels are not touching the ground

If it would have rolled, it would have been taken care of. **** happens. Like I said this guy is one of if not my best, and this is the first time he has even been stuck in many years of working for us.

He normally gets a pretty good price on his mulch, and I normally get a pretty good price on my towing. His shop is a block from mine....Still scared to see the bill.... Tow trucks aren't cheap, as in 3 of them.