1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worst Tornado in History

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mr.Outside, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Mr.Outside

Mr.Outside Junior Member

I bought a new tornado in Oct 06, installed on my 06 GMC Duramax.
    From day one, could not get conveyor to run with load, tightened belt and helped but still seized up constantly, Took to dealer and he retracked belt, also moved rear bearing back about 1/2 inch so belt did not rub on sides.
    After first load, checked unit and found spinner hanging on ground, all the weight was being held up by one wimpy set screw, tightened about 6 different times until finally top pulley disintergrated. Got new pulley and drilled shaft and installed bolt, seems to hold up there. Had the bolt shear off on the roller coming from the gearbox. Which I might add is the same gearbox being used on my pro-flow II rated at 1000 lbs. capacity. seems under built. Then had huge salt mounds building in front of unit, had the little latches that hold the chute assembly constantly bend. Found a miscellanous bolt sticking out through conveyor belt. I have some serious alignment issues with the stainless steel frame, seems built out of square. I had all my little grippers come off belt, I constantly have problems with the controller on/off buttons sticking and not performing.
    Today I was salting and heard a loud noise, after investigating found the vertical shaft coming from gearbox had broke at base.
    The icing on the cake was when plowing into a snowbank and the unit came crashing through my rear window at 3am on a 20 inch storm. The dealer strapped it in on 4 locations and blocked it, but wasn't enough. I now have about 10 inches of blocking in front as well as 2 straps on rear leggs hooked to trailer hitch.
    I have been using Western plows and Spreaders for over 14 years and have been completely satisfied until now.
    My longtime western dealer is wanting to wash his hands of the mess.
    Spoke to Western rep. and he assures me that all the updates coming out will fix my problems but I can not count on this unit. I just want a refund and I will buy a new Smith stainless electric. I lost too much money and sleep over this piece of junk.
    I am thinking about starting a class action law-suit if my money is not returned or problems not completly resolved soon.

2. X-LOWBALLER

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

First of all, you shouldn't be ramming into any snowbank with weight in the back :dizzy: , secondly, I would be after the installer if it came "crashing" thru your back window. In fact, I would actually pay to see you show us pics of this.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Number one, the poster didn't say he "rammed" the snowbank. Most of us that plow do plow into snowbanks from time to time, just part of the job. Western's new Tornado spreader have been plagued with problems from the start, its a fact. I can sympathize with this guy, why should he wait for bandaide fixes when he needs this piece of equipment now. Isn't the point of buying new equipment to have depenability. Western should buy this spreader back, no questions asked.

4. X-LOWBALLER

from Toronto

I have 4 "flawed" poly casters. I too feel for him but c'mon, if the unit slammed into the backof his truck, my first q would b why wasn't it bolted down. Second would b why it wasn't installed properly. You cannot blame it slamming into the back of his cab an issue with the spreader. And if they do offer money back, I will be first in line.

5. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

If none of this is a lie, then this is what we call a ''lemon''. It sucks when you get one but what are you gunna do? Do what I do, just sit there and cry....

6. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

x lowballer

everything but the window I can say are true. we are the magic supplier for mr outside and I have witnessed most of everything that has happened to him. I personally did not see the broken window so I cant say that it is 100% true. Judging by the fact that Mr. Outside is not a person who tends to make up stories I would say that it is most likely true.

Now answer this when you pay a reputable western distributor to install a plow or salter should you really have to climb under the truck to make sure they put all of the bolt in the plow frame or bolted the salter to the bed. For those of you who have to think about this the answer is most definetly NO. Unfortunately some installers tend to half a$$ things and most of the time you have to check all of their work.

Mr. Outside did not buy a lemon he bought a tornado. A lemon comes along 100 salter or maybe even 1000 but when you buy a tornado you are guarnteed a pile of poly and stainless steel that usually doesnt work when you need it to. Everyone of these pos should be bought back by western and should not be put back on the market until they firmly remove their heads from their a$$es and can sell a product that is dependable.

7. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

GrandScapes will join you on your suit, this post sounds like something I could have posted. We have had those same exact problems right down to it crashing through the back window of our 03 duramax. If you do decide to file a suit, let me know

8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Have any of you gotten the fix kit yet?

9. X-LOWBALLER

from Toronto

Juding by your IP, I'd say that you and Mr. O are the same person but anyway, I feel most, if not all Tornados and or Poly Casters are duds. Time will tell.

10. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Another example of DD not field testing long enough the Equip. they build. Just Build and Sell Crank em out:gunsfiring:payup
    Hope that the new red or yellow power plow works better!

11. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I am curious as to where you are seeing their IP address.

12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

What do you know about this?

13. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

Judging by our IP address? Yeah that a good way of telling. If both of our ip addresses are the same they we both have a problem. Try this one. I live in the same area as Mr Outside (which if you look up Ithaca, NY it is not very big) I use roadrunner through time warner as my isp and I would assume that Mr Outside does also so when you use the same isp you may get an ip that is similar to a few hundred other people but never the same. Why would I make a new screenname to say I dont like tornado's. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense. Sorry for robbing this thread.

14. X-LOWBALLER

from Toronto

Aside from the IP and the fact that his one post and your posts that are similar (I used the search function). Oh well, maybe you are, maybe you aren't. I find it strange that he came to this site, told you (his supplier) what his user was and this came about. Its all good tho. I agree with 98% of what you guys (or just you) have to say.

15. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I would be more concerned about someone falsely claiming to know the IP address of a poster.

16. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

How do you know the claim is false?

17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Show me how he got the posting IP address from this sight. Far as I know it is not public.

Or the fact that he avoided the question?

18. X-LOWBALLER

from Toronto

Okay, if this really is me, Y does this concern YOU as to the whole IP issue? You seem to know all the answers, for this, I am very interested. These two share the same IP. They seem to know each other. They share info. I agreed with 98% of what was said. I just didn't see the need to know why this person created an online ID to convey that message (which was a good one btw).

19. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I am not the one caught in a lie. Irregardless of your claim as to the poster and the OP being the same why lie? Seems like the only one actually caught of something dishonest is yourself.

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would like Sean to address the issue of IP numbers.

I do not wish to have mine known and in my work use measures to block it.

If this information is available somehow (besides the Moderator or Admin of this site see'ing) I want to know.