1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

worst stuck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowking35, Dec 23, 1999.

1. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I started this one on the last forum, and I was just wanting to see what the new guys have in their history.<br>What is your worst stuck story? Or worst breakdown/or just one hell of a bad day?<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment Think Snow

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

hey

start it up again

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Worst stuck:
    Got a call for a drive I had never been to before after we had gotton about 18 inches of snow. I'm plowing blind and the plow catches something. Little did I know, this was the first plow of the season for this drive and it was coated with ice. When the plow caught, it kicked the truck off the drive over a bank and into a 5' snow drift. I had to climb out the window and after looking at what happened didn't even attempt to shovel. Called a tow truck and learned a lesson that day.

Worst breakdown:
    In the middle of a blizzard half way through my route, the driver's side axle housing to my Twin Traction Beam Ford front axle broke in half. I had to wait for my brother-in-law to finish his route and then rent his truck to do mine. After the storm I converted to the Monobeam front axle, I'll never own one of those trucks again!

4. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

21" of snow. I was over it my girlfriend's (now my wife) & the storm started getting ugly we had 18" on the ground at 2:00am when I was leaving to go home. I tried 2 different ways to go home & both roads were closed so I backtracked & tried 1 last way home, well I was tired & it was a blizzard. I came around the curve of the road & there was a drift 10' high & 40' across the road, I was in a 1972 CJ-5- 6'6"Meyer blade & bang I was in the drift:eek: . I couldn't go back or forward couldn't open the doors I was stuck :mad: . I crawled to the back window & unzipped & climbed out, man my Jeep was 4' past the start of the drift. I got to the other side of the drift it was 25' in depth & I was only 5' short of getting through. After a hour of shoveling I was able to get through only to find 7 more cars blocking the road 1/4 mile away. I plowed my way past them & told them they could follow me as I was going to get through He!! or high water 4 hrs. later I got home. A 10 min. trip took over 6 hrs. :(

Last edited: Apr 26, 2002
  5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

How about first stuck?

In 1979 I bought my first truck--a 76 F250 4X4, with 12 X 16.5 tires. When I went to pick it up the dealer had pulled it out and parked it by the curb. There was *one* patch about 2 feet square, of hardpack snow/ice in the gutter, and they just happened to park the truck with the rear wheel directly on it. It was a level street too, which didn't help--had it sloped either direction I could have just drifted a foot or two. I, and I swear this is the truth, had to lock the hubs and put 'er in 4 wheel to pull away from the curb.

(And that's pretty much the way things continue to go....)

6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

hey

come on thats the best worst stuck story you got?

7. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Hey guys...I got a few.

I was a wild 17 years old. My neighbor had a Mercury Montego with chains on it. I fixed his battery terminals and thinking a car with chains was as good as a 4X4 I decided to try getting through an unplowed street. We had a blizzard that year and this was the next day so I went at the street with my foot to the floor. I got in pretty far but not out the other side. I had all four wheels spinning in the breeze! I had to get a tow truck to winch me out. It cost me $15 which took me a few weeks to pay my parents back. I hadn't learned my lesson though.

Two years later I was working after school installing drapes and blinds. The full time installer was out sick and I was out late doing installations. I went to make a u-turn and backed the van (a 79 E150) into a snow covered field when I heard a crack and the back of the van was in the swamp! My boss was mad as hell but I was out until midnight that night and he paid me even though he said he shouldn't have.

Years later you would have thought I should have known better but I came out of the doctor's office and saw some mud. I went though once but that wasn't good enough. I made a second pass and this time the truck slid to the left and in I went. I couln't get my door open. I had to climb out the r/s. The r/r wheel was 4 feet off the ground! I took the bus home to get my tow truck. I had to winch it out with the boom. It took me a few hours to clean all the mud out.

Last but not least....My son and I went to put fliers in an uncanvased area. I had my Bronco II with the plow hung. I backed off the road and the l/r wheel dropped into the ditch. The r/f wheel was 1 foot off the ground. We walked 3 miles home to get the F-250. We went back for the Bronco. I took the Bronco home and then had to walk back for the F-250. I was glad the trucks both had good heat!

8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Yep. ;)

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm bettin' it's the only story you're willing to tell...:rolleyes:

10. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

OK GUYS....I'll let it all out

I had my license a few days. My Dad let me take my Mom's 68 LeSabre to school. I was so cool I almost went home without my girlfriend. I ducked down a sideroad to make a UB. I backed the Buick into a snow pile and was going nowhere. Some guys stopped to help. I told the smallest guy to get behind the wheel. He held his foot to the floor. The car came out of the snow and one of the rods came out of the block. My Dad forgave me and then bought my Mom a Limekist Green 71 LeMans (off the Ford dealers used car lot for $1800)!

My first truck was a 61 F100 short bed stepside. I saw an ad for a couple of tractors and at the bottom of the ad it said Ford pickup with tool box $250 (this was 1979). I went to see the truck...dead battery,no fuel and a flat tire. I took the battery home to charge it. The next day I came back with the battery ready, 5 gallons of gas and a tank of air. I had the truck ready to go in no time. I drove the truck across the field and right into a ditch! I worked like a demon and remembered my Dad saying, "use high gear!" I rode the clutch in 4th and came out like a champ! I gave the guy $200 and off I went! My first truck! I got married in 83, the truck went in 84. Oh well,but it's still on the road!

My first 4X4 was an 80 F150. (how did I survive without a plow?????). I just finished putting the rear back together. I went for a hell ride and smashed the l/f fender in the mud. There was a shopping cart under there. Go figure?

ANYBODY??? :)

11. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

:) I forgot a good one.

In the blizzard of 96 we had to clear the roof (where we park). We had 3 wheel Cushman scooters in the way. I thought I'd cut the wheel sharp and slide a little..... I slid alright..... on the front rudder with the rear wheels in the air. My boss said he never saw anybody so white.

ARE YOU GUYS GLAD YOU ASKED??? :)

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, I'll tell mine, which isn't even that bad. In southwestern Colorado, going up a mountain on one of those many switchbacky dirt roads that leads to nowhere. spring time so the snow was very hardpacked. Chains on the front tires, nothing on the rear. Front tires broke through the hard snow and the front end sunk down. Couldn't even turn the wheel. The rear end slipped to the edge and I had one rear tire threatening to fall off the side of the hill. What to do, why not shovel for an hour. Shoveled all the snow out from under the front end and drove her out. Used all four chains on the way down and had no problems.

13. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok, here's mine, also not too bad (knock on wood)

I was in a customers driveway that has a slight downgrade toward the garage. They didn't use the garage and had told me just to plow up toward the doors and leave the pile there. Ok, that's easy. Well, one day that had been warm with some melting during the day turned cold with some wet snow at night. I went down the drive about 2 in the morning only to find that their gutters were broken and had layed down a good thick layer of ice under the snow. Luckily the truck stopped and didn't hit the garage or house, but I also couldn't back out. It was solid ice. I had sand / salt on the truck but this was nice smooth, thick ice. I took me about an hour of putting salt under the tires and rocking the turck, before I resorted to leaving the turck in low 4, easing off the clutch, the tires spinning and me sanding the tires as the turck inched up the driveway on its own. (So, in addition to being the worst stuck, it would also go down as the most dangerous thing I have done !!) I wan't to wooried though, I figured if the tires did actually catch pavement, the truck would have stalled out.

Anyway, that's my story. (Before you all hammer me about leaving the truck moving, I learned my lesson when I really thought about what I did and will not do that again. Next time, I call a tow truck)

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

My brother did the same thing one night when I was out of town. He was in his 67 Mustang and had been caught out and was trying to get to our shop to get a truck. Well the Mustang had a posi rear and a low ratio so when he got stuck in an intersection he put it in low gear and got out to start pushing. He got it out and made it to the shop no problem. Not the safest thing but at that time of night not much to do otherwise.

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I remembered another one where I almost lost my truck. I have one acount where the driveway goes up a steep hill and one side is a 50' embankment. It's also pitched dramatically to the high side for water run off.

On this occasion there was ice under the snow and every time I tried to climb the hill, I ended up in the drainage ditch due to the pitch. I started backing up and then pushing down a little at a time, but I was still ending up in the ditch. I gave it another run trying to hug the lip on the edge of the embankment and the plow got hung up in my windrow (I had forgotten to straighten the blade) and kicked me over the edge. The only thing that kept me from going over was the rear end housing getting caught on the frozen lip.

I called a tow truck but he couldn't get past me to pull me up the hill. When he tried to pull me down and out, the truck went further over the edge. We finally put a snatch block on a tree to the side about 30' away to winch from. The only place he could hook to my truck to get the right leverage was to the frame rail about midway front to rear. This was going to wrinkle the box quarter, but at this point I only wanted the truck out to complete my route.

We got the truck out and I did suffer the body damage, but my truck had previous damage so it didn't hurt as bad. I had planned to put a new box on the back after that season anyway. I talked the client in to reducing the amount of pitch to the drive and haven't had much trouble since. That was a scary night though...

:eek:

16. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

i have not had a bad stuck yet but knowing me it wont be long.

17. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Are you trying to infer that there's a *story* that goes with this picture??

5802.jpg

18. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well that is a stuck 580 alright.But nothing that the hoe part can't get him out of.How did it get that stuck and so close to the house?

19. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Funny you should ask....

First, it was the lot from h*ll to begin with. And the customer was an "Owner/Builder". (Meaning he was acting as his own general contrator, and was thus lacking experience--this was his first and last house.) (BTW, he did *get* LOADS of experience...)

I was back there to backfill the house. There was no way to get around the end of the house farthest from the camera, so I had to back in from the end nearest the camera. I took the picture from up on the bank in the backyard. The guy that dug the foundation (not me), left a flat spot about 10 feet wide, with a 1 to 1 slope above it. He also left the yard about 18" higher than the back door. He also left it slightly sloping toward the hole. Mother nature provided the mud. Also, the part of the hole the front bucket is in was wider by a couple feet because there's a large window opening behind that piece of plywood that's nailed to the foundation wall. There was going to be a big window well there.

I got in okay, and started cutting with the hoe, just letting the dirt go into the hole as I made a nice level grade at the right elevation. The problem came when I moved forward. That slight slope toward the hole was just enough that the front wheels slid toward the edge as I moved forward. I tried pulling myself backward toward more level, drier ground. That slight slope toward the hole was just enough that the front wheels slid toward the edge as I moved backward. I tried planting the hoe near the house on my fresh fill and pushing the rear end away from the house a little. The front wheels slid closer to the house. I tried planting the hoe and pulling the back end away from the house. The front wheels slid closer to the house. I was sitting there idleing, there *thinking* about what my next move might be when the front wheels slid over the edge--I didn't even have my hands on the controls.

And BTW, you're wrong about being able to get it out of there with the hoe. Some fool had built a house there and if I'd done *anything* with the hoe it would just have pivoted that front bucket right through the basement wall. Not an example of good customer service....

Final chapter....I drove 15 miles and borrowed a skid loader. I dug a notch in the bank big enough to back the skid loader into, and to back it up about 5 feet more. Gave the homeowner a quick lesson in skid loader operation and hooked a chain to the front loader arm on the 580. Hooked another chain (actually, I think it was two chains because the nearest tree was about 30 feet away),....anyway, I swung straight out to the side and hooked the backhoe to a healthy sized tree. He pulled with the skidder, as I pulled with the hoe and she slid right back out just as easily as she'd slid in.

20. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Somebody'll probably be ill-mannered enough to ask about *this* one next.... ;)

450stuck3.jpg