1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

worst season ever

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grf_1000, Mar 22, 2010.

1. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i have been plowing for 22 years. this,by far, was the worst season. as of saturday we were 92" of snow fall behind last year. among my commerical accounts i help take care of 160 gas wells plus all of the roads getting to them. on agv. those are plowed 15 times a season and they do play perrty well. this season we struggled to plow them 5 times and most were only done 4. this really hurts the budget. i guess i'm not picking up another loader and the two other plow trucks i had intented on getting for nest season.................. just ranting ant mother nature lol

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go seasonal!

3. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i do have a couple seasonal contracts which were the only ones that kept me going. no way in the world will the gas and oil industry do a seasonal contract. who would have ever thought in the snow belt in northern michigan that we would not even top 80' of snow fall. i checked, 2nd least amount since record keeping lol

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I think the best is to have a combination of per push and seasonal.
    I do almost everything on a seasonal contract & would like to get more by the push. That way I would have a little motivation to go out.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

X2

I moved a couple over to seasonal this past winter, really glad I did. But I still would have been happier with 15 more storm to bill out on the resis.....

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Decent year here in the Chicago area. Seems like South and East coast got hit hardest.
    I would agree a combination of both is a good safe guard, or all seasonals if they are priced right.

7. maintenanceman

maintenanceman Member

just as bad here, only had four billable events. thank goodness that the construction side is still going strong.

8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Crappy year here too. Made less than half of what we made last year. There"s always next year.

9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

last year, we had one of the best years we have ever had,,,,,,this year,,,,,,,we had about 1/4 of what we did last year. Thank GOD for seasonal contracts.

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Thank god for seasonals is right. However I think I'm going to see a massive decline in seasonals in this up coming season. Thankfully I give 3 different pricing options for my customers. I would rather them pick their poison rather then forcing one option upon them and losing them.

11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Ryan,
    Just "remind" them of the total snow from the 3 previous years... In my area just north of you was 91" last year (above normal) and 132" 2 years ago (way above normal)..... This is the selling point I use to get seasonals that are on the fence.

And yes have the combo of seasonal and per push is the way to go.... I like 60% seasonal and 40% per push myself. JMO

12. Montosi82

Montosi82 Member

Repoman,

You said you give three payment options. Seasonal, Per Push, and what is your third option? Is it per inch?

We also had a slow year in MA. Made more money last year with half the accounts. Deffinately going to try for some seasonals next year.

13. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Absolutely right, I threw a little "sticky note" onto my pricing page this year for just that reason. Check it out:

snow.jpg

Actually, I offer per event, per season, and per season with a cap per event.

snow.jpg

14. Montosi82

Montosi82 Member

I like your pricing sheet.

Thanks for the info

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

This year seemed slower here since it was spread out from the end of December to the end of February. I had 25 total pushes on everything. Last year I plowed 20 times alone in January, but only once in February. I think our seasonal total was 130 inches, which is about normal here in the lake effect area. Didnt really get any big whoppers of a storm, which I am not complaining about. I try to keep everything 50/50 each year with seasonals and per push. Helps keep everything afloat and makes budgeting much easier

16. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

The good news is we have a bunch of money coming in on our seasonal contracts that we didn't have to do very much for, the bad news is that all my residences are complaining, i hope we get a huge snowfall in April, because i am not touching a single place that hasn't paid for March.

17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have never sean a Winter like this and I hope I never se another on like this.

18. Snow Bandit

Snow Bandit Junior Member

Its the middle of march, and not a flake of snow to be found anywhere. I might have worked 60 hours all winter.

19. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Best year ever for the history of philly. :nod: Paid off my new fisher and western salter:drinkup:

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You guys crushed it down there.....