1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worst Damage To Concrete

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SAWFISH, Jan 27, 2004.

1. SAWFISH

SAWFISH Junior Member

What salt is best to use on concrete?
    I just had a new concrete drive done but was told not to use "plain salt" on it because it can damage the concrete.
    I am sure everything will damage it somehow, but what will do the "least" amout of damage to it?

Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Any salt will damage concrete. There are products you can treat concrete with to make it less corrosive, but I tell people not to use anything for the first year to allow the concrete to cure.

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 Junior Member

You may be better off using sand rather than any kind of salt product for the first year. Also. if you're able to have the concrete sealed you will reduce the affects of salt and other ice melters.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

\

I meant treat the "salt".

5. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

Lesco

Lesco Sidewalk safe salt is best !! www.lesco.com might not be on the website... but they sell it in there stores.. wont damage concrete

6. sr_innovative

sr_innovative Junior Member
    from Toronto

To be entirely honest, no de-icer is entirely non-corrosive. Any chlorides what so ever will corrode.

The best melter, IMO, for this concern, would be NC3000, a chloride free melter. If you have questions about it, please feel free to shoot me a line.

srobbins@innovativecompany.com