1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worry about being Loud ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tundraplow07, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Tundraplow07

Tundraplow07 Member

Do Any Of You Guys Worry about being loud and waking up people around where you plow? I have a exhaust system (added a few years back) on the truck and I'm worried of being loud :/ how about you guys ?
  2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

thats y my trucks are all stock
  3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

If its modified, I would be concerned. Just like loud backup alarms in a resi at nite. No ones around, turn it off.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Not even a little bit

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I use to be, after doing a few (very short) runs this season. I stopped caring and turn the music up and let the engine roar. Love the looks out the windows I get at 3am Thumbs Up
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have an exhaust system on my truck too. It was installed at the factory, and keeps the truck nice and quiet.
  7. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Yes, we worry about being loud. When and if you pi$$ of your customers and there neighbors, you won't get them back as a client. If it is to loud, get it replaced. There are to many people who would love to take your work, when you lose to it being to loud!
  8. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

My truck has some mods and is a bit louder than stock, but its mostly under load. at idle and light throttle its not too bad, its more of a rumble. I have no worries though, a steel cutting edge dragging across the driveway isn't exactly quiet either :rolleyes: :laughing:
    and all my customers are repeats and new people that called me because a current customer recommended me.

If it concerns you too much, when first dealing with the customer in person, let them hear it and ask if they are ok with it. chances are if you are up front, do a good job, and have good rates, they wont care. beats them out shoveling! payupThumbs Up
  9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If your doing resi's then you should respect them. Everyone of my trucks are stock quiet, and I do that for a reason.
  10. Tundraplow07

Tundraplow07 Member

I didn't plan on having a plow 3 years ago lol so I did some mods, I just did some plowing and it seems that the cutting edge hitting the cement/pavement is louder than my exhaust. I think I might be able to get away with it if it gets too loud then i'll think about replacing it :)
  11. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

See what I mean? Sounds like some guys want to make it sound like your truck is louder than theirs, and like I said, the edge on the surface being plowed is pretty loud. Obviously louder than they think. You should be fine Thumbs Up

12. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

i dont worry about it. I have an aftermarket exhaust on my duramax. It has a deep sound to it and to my knowledge no one has said anything (im a subcontractor, i dont know if the boss just took the complaint and never passed it on)
  13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I understand that the plow dropping is loud. I'm not saying your an idiot for having a loud exhaust either. I am simply stating that I have enough phone calls every storm, that I am not looking to add more to it by waking someone up. To each thier own, and I prefer to have my trucks stock. Why give a customer anything to complain about.
  14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

My F-150 I just recently purchased has a $500 Magna Flow exhaust on it. Next month it goes to a shop to cut the echo chambers off the back and regular tail pipe installed. I'll drive it around the block, and if it's still too loud, It's going right back in to have a resonator put in to quite it down further.

I personally don't mind a little rumble and I really liked some of the 05-06 1500 rams I test drove that has a little tone to them, but weren't excessive. As it stands now, my F-150 gives me a headache when I drive long distances and no way would I want a truck like that plowing my drive at 3am.

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When they heard you plowing that's their warning sound that it's snowing and they better get up early to go to work.
  16. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

My powerstroke all have an exhaust on them, but ive never had a problem and we do a lot of resi's. But I guess a diesel with an exhaust is usually a lot less loud than a gas engine straight piped. All mine have is a 4" turbo back exhaust with 6" tips.
  17. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I love it when other contractors do things like that.
  18. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I think its just plain courtesy to be somewhat quite and not rolling in with strobe lights blazing and loud pipes. Especially in early morning. I think its rude and obnoxious.
    I've even slowed down the lowering speed on the blade so it wont slam to the ground and i have stock pipes. Now, if your plowing commercials, not a big deal about noise.
  19. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Who cares, the municipal trucks will just wake them up when they fly by and smack the manhole cover out in the street.
  20. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks, I will be doing some advertising in Brooklyn Park this year.