1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worried about next year already

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Nov 27, 2008.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I would estimate I lost 30% of my last years customers this season even though I never missed a storm last year and had almost no complaints. I called a regular customer that I was sure would want plowing this year and I finally got hold of him tonight, he bought a snow blower. I'm assuming most people take a gamble and hope we won't get nailed like last year and are not spending because of the economy. I'm close to Oshawa (huge auto lay offs) and I'm worried that I'm going to loose a huge chunk of my summer work and next year what winter work I will get from loyal customers will be enough. Hope I can sell my house in a few years and move somewhere else if I have to.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If we get hit hard the people who bought snowblowers will be calling you. A few times out in the cold will be enough for them. Yes the economy sucks and money is tight but people will still need plowing done.
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes its sounds easy to snow blow the drive when you buy the blower in 60 degree weather...now doing it all the time before they go to work so their wives can get out when its cold that something different.
  4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

If he wants to use his snow blower let him, after 2 uses in the cold he will remember your number !
    No matter the economy plowing is a necessity, not something people can live without...
  5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Plowing is a necessity but I do think people are going to start to do it themselves by either buying a snowblower for there driveway or a plow truck for there parking lots. JMO
  6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Haven't plowed once yet this season, not ready to start crying about next season yet!

Businesses are always going to need snow removal/plowing, just the way it is.
  7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

im the opposite. im looking forward to tightening up my route next year and adding a couple more commercials.
  8. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Snow blower runs $400 - $900 around here. Unless they are going to use it for 3 or more years, it doesn't make sense. It is like buying a $5,000 lawn mower to mow your own grass. Do you know how many years I could mow it for that kind of money?

My guess is that they are doing it because they think they are saving money and he might not be able to afford your services. Times are tough and people don't have the money they use to have.

don't worry about next year. do a good job this year and look for more contracts sooner next year.
  9. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Yep, I wasn't really harping on the blower thing...its more the way the economy is going and how to deal with it. I'm trying not to get too stressed about it. I had so many people tell me very early in the season they wanted snow plowing and then when it came close to giving them contracts a bunch of them changed there minds...Being near Oshawa is like being near Detroit for me.