1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worn out Extreme V

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cookie, Jan 18, 2011.

1. cookie

cookie Member

Long story short - my plow spent the summer where I bought it a little over 2 yrs ago because it was getting sloppy. I was told it wasn`t worn enough for Fisher to do anything about it.

Last week my motor for the plow went t*ts up in the middle of a storm - drove an hr to get it fixed, while I was there they re-measured the center pin and bores. The wear is getting unreal.

The Mechanic says to me the plow is worn out. The specs are sent to Fisher - not only are they not doing anything about it, I get ``ìt`s out of warranty ``! We had more snow in the last 2 weeks here than we did ALL LAST WINTER!

Needless to say I am not happy with Fisher Engineering right now!

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had a similar experience with Fisher when I bought my Extreme V a few years back. It was all over the pathetic 3/8 cutting edge that came with it. I went round and round with them, the dealer even said its pre mature wear and should be replaced. Days go by and it finally got replaced, wether the dealer did it just to de-fuse the battle or Fisher actually replaced it. I am not a fan of their "engineering" or "complaint department". This is exactly why if there is ever anything wrong I get it replaced and documented from the get go because people have a short memory, especially when it comes to replacing something for free. Other than the cutting edge and a couple very minor things I am quite pleased with the plow itself. But their customer service, engineering dept. or whatever you want to call it can go to he!! Good luck to ya......squeaky wheel gets the grease.

3. cookie

cookie Member

Lol - had mine for 2 full seasons.... well one really. I only had it on my truck a hand full of times last year. Starting my 3rd...

1st year - pump calved and blew up the motor, replaced under warranty DURING a storm.

2nd year - wings wearing like a b@stard - didn't do ANYTHING with the thing

start of the 3rd - pump goes again - this time out of my own pocket and now the wings flop like old wet noodles!

This isn't going to be my last plow truck..............

4. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

My Fisher 8.6 V is a little sloppy on the center pin, it is on it's 4th season plowing and I replaced the center pin and cutting edges this year.

If the wear gets to be too much I'll take it to my welder and have him torch off the hinged section and weld in some new tubing during the off season.

I have made serious money the last 3 seasons with my equipment, if I have to put a few $$$ into it I will gladly as it is a wear and tear item in my book.

It does suck that they won't step up, I did notice the original "V" plows had a better hinge design with many more interlocking points, why Fisher changed to the long center hinge and the shorter top and bottom hinge points is not clear ?

Good Luck,

;)

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

huh..................

6. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

The hinged section can be replaced by any competent welding shop, that is the only wear point other than the attachment points for the angling pistons. Fisher should have made the hinge section with a replaceable sleeve so that the plow does not wear out only the sleeve and pin, but that would mean they wouldn't sell a lot of replacement parts.

Unless you want to buy new plow or replacement parts from Fisher you need to find a good welding shop for local repairs, especially during big storms..

huh..............;)

7. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

The reason they changed the design was because they never had problems with that older v-plow, now they changed the design and they're having problems, all they're doing makes perfect sense... Us buying more parts from them or having shops fix it for us.......... But in reality its an oxymoron since people are changing plow companies because of this ordeal, just talking out loud..?

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

pin problems/ pump problems / welds breaking all over the place .

what the he!! is goin on up there in maine. ?

9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

News to you I see. :D

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Corprate takeover and bean counters.

12. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

transported in plow crates from the sherrif in arizona????:laughing::laughing:

13. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well I think in all fairness if we start looking to see where all the slop alot of these plows have in them; you will find that alot of it is coming from the pins that are on the back of the wings to connect to the end of the hydro clyinders. The most common problem on the XV has been bent and broken pins; and of course the new "replacement" pins are made outta different material and are hardened more than the original ones.
    I do agree with the concept that the multiple hinge points; is stronger than when you only have 4 hinge castings. And if all the play was coming from just the hinge; then one could certainly remove the long center casting and add 4 more in there so it would then look about the same as a Boss hinge; if that was needed??? Mine has ZERO play in the hinge but now in the second season; it is showing minnor wear and movement on the pushpins; on the end of the clyinders.
    To be honest I am wondering how much abuse; it would take to "loosen up" the hinge; and what kinda plowing one would be doing ??? I think a high percentage of some of the problems are of course inexperanced plowers.................. and alot of them have HIT things buried in the snow Violiently and fail to mention it in the posts. I have a buddy that has plowed his lots for 5 years with a "first year" XV 8.5 and he plowed thru winters 07/08 when we had 200 inches of snow both seasons; and we changed his original pin this fall, and it was bent, but really didnt show unusual wear ????
    Anyway I finally got a chance to compare mine to a brand new 8.2 V Boss last weekend on a 3/4 HD and I was shocked the way it jumped up and down ,all over the lot and felt alot more like a 500lb plow to me than the 770lbs it actually weight is ??? I then tryed stacking some big mouthfuls and it floped over and puked it out under the weight of it just like every flop over plow I have ever tryed ???? So when I hear all this jazz about how great they are, I am darned if I could see it??? The A frame portion of the plow is so low to the ground I couldnt believe it ??? ,, I could see problems with no clearance and that looked like an inferior design to me???? I have no idea if it was outta adjustment or not . He told me he loved the plow; and thought it was the nicest plow he had ever used! So I asked him; if he wanted to try the Fisher V to compare them ; and he took me up on it . He imediately noticed that it stays down and feels ALOT heaver [even though it is only 50lbs more] and then he tryed stacking with it and couldnt believe how much it would push up there . So even though he was 110% Boss when we drove in; by the time he had actually tryed a Fisher he found out that his plow has its own faults.............
    The hinge is a subject that gets alot of attention on here; and to each there own; but until I see something else besides their hinge; I will be sticking with a "FISHA"

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  14. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I,ve had mine for a while now and its pushed a lot of snow with no real issues. I replaced the plug for my controller but thats it. Where I work they have a fleet of Boss v plows and you can tell the guys who are easy on there equiptment .

15. cookie

cookie Member

I guess my biggest disappointment is with Fisher itself. The slop in the center pin was an issue before I ran out of warranty - now that it is out of warranty they are telling me "tough sh*t".
    I like the plow, it works well when it works, lol.

With the floppy wings I am starting to leave a film of snow one the worst side - something my customers are not going to like - what do I tell them - tough sh*t?

Who has to pay for the extra work to get these lots clean - me? The customer? I cant get Fisher to cover a major issue with their product, some I am sure as he!! they won't pay.....

I have to wait until the end of the season now to do anything about it, the dealer I bought the plow from is going to do something for me, at least THEY will stand behind someone else's product. But I'm screwed if the wing falls off before then...

Are there any engineers from that company are reading? How come there are no grease fittings on the center pin, or any where else for that matter? Maybe there is a reason for that, I don't know - I am just an operator....

Maybe I should have been an Engineer......

16. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

Do any of you bother to grease these pins? Doesn't take much to drill a couple holes for grease nipples or take the pins out and grease them.

17. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well I will tell you that grease has been a subject; that has been beat to death; on here as well. And frankly I take mine out; and grease it every fall; and it certainly doesnt hurt anything, but to blame the hinge been loose or broken, on grease or lack of it, is probably a big stretch .................
    If in fact the hinge was causing problems, because of a lack of grease, they the by product of that, would most certainly be hinge pins, that show undercut areas and heavy wear where they pass through the hinge castings.?? Of course you can easily drill a hole thru the casting, with a cobalt drill, and tap it and stick a grease fitting into them . I really dont think this is a lubrication issue at all. I think 99% of what is going on with these Extreame series plows, is not pin wear but SHEARED pins and BENT pins ............... that is not a lack of lubrication, that is usually associated with a lack of good judgement, and guys SMASHING into stuff or pushing the plow to a overstressed state ???? If you get on here and look at the Fisher issues it comes down to the pin and hinge. Jump over to the Boss threads, and they have DOZENS of guys, on there whinning about BENT or TWISTED ;A-FRAMES, so I think if you take the same operator and stick him behind either plow he will break something ???? I am starting to think there is tooo many folks, somehow thinking they are plowing with a D3's ???? None of these plows; are any to heavy, when you take a HD 3/4 and Ton trucks with a huge engines; and a overloaded sander in the body; some over 12,000 lbs gross weight; and then smash into a frozen banks, or WORSE, and then get all upset; because the plow "couldnt take it" .................. they need the blade off the D3 straped to the front of their truck; to do what they want to do??? So its this simple; if your in trouble with a Fisher hinge, you expose the Boss plow which of course is LIGHTER, to the same thrashing; and it will be setting on the ground with one blade up in the air and a warped A frame ???? Which one would you rather have, its really that simple. I like their hinge system; and feel it is a better design ................ but thats right where it ends .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  18. collins590

collins590 Junior Member

I wasn't replying to the bent or broken hinge ears or pins, but people saying they their blades are sloppy and the holes are worn. Grease solves these problems. Obviously it doesn't matter how you maintain your truck and plow if you got a driver smashing into curbs plowing flat out.

19. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I think that is right Collins; the operator is going to be the determining factor every time. Its interesting to go back and read some of these posts over the last few years or so, and there has been alot of stuff printed on this "hinge"subject . It sorta goes all the way back to the guys that started Diamond plow; when they thought they could reinvent the wheel; and take over the plow market............ they had some dam good ideas . And of course most all of these other plows; have some very good ideas in them.
    This Artic Plow from Canada; with the whole plow glavanized; with the exception of the moldboard; and a "TRIP EDGE" design is one of the most innovative ones out there; and having never used one,[but I would like to so I could compare them] I cant comment on them but it looks rugged . I have no idea how the hinge would compare; but chances are if you sniff around it long enough you would find something that isnt 110% either...................

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  20. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict