1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worn down center hings assembly

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Makndust, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I just bought 2 - 8'2" steel V plows used from a plowing service that was going out of business. They are the older model that Doesn't have the center scraper. I noticed that one of them is worn down on the center of the plow. It only has about 1/4" of steel left on the very bottem of the hinge. The other looks like the bottem is about 1/2" thick. This is the bottem of the center assembley behind the wings. Is this going to be a problem? I think that I am going to plate this piece anyway just to be safe.

Also, has anyone came up with an idea to eliminate the snow furrow between the blades. I was thinking about a piece of mudflap hung over the center hinge area between the two blades. All imput is appreciated.

2. snoking

snoking Senior Member

I also have a couple of those plows. You will be fine with that hinge, just remember your cutting blades on those models only last 1/2 way or so, then replace and you wont damage it any more.

2 answers hor your second question.....

you will plow faster and better with a back blade..and that catches the trail from the front.

weld 2 wings inside the center on a 45 and that will catch more......

3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Thanks for the info snoking. That puts my mind at ease a little. I pulled both center pins the other day. They are both bent about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up from the bottem. I slathered antisieze on them and drove them back in. I was looking at a new boss flyer and noticed that they have cutting edges out with curves on the ends to help with the furrow in the middle. I wouldn't mind trying a set of those on my 9'2" poly V to see if I could eliminate that center snow catcher.

4. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i actually just posted an idea about the second problem in the comm. snow removal forum before reading this. anyway, i have the same, older style boss with no center shoe/wiper. check it out, and let me know what you think.

5. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Do not under any circumstances weld the inner catch wings to your cutting edges,this will make the cutting edge brittle and it will break. Remove your center hinge pin, drill and tap the bottom of the hinge,get a rubber boot for a first generation rt3 plow and drill tap the corresponding holes in the bottom of the center section and bolt the rubber boot on,you should also replace your cutting edges at this time. If you need pictures or further info please e-mail me Deluxeco@adelphia.net

6. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Also Boss just introduced a new cutting edge that is bent in the center to eleviate this problem,a little pricey though and hard to get.....

7. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I saw those new cutting edges from boss the other day. How expensive are they?

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I would repair the center of the plow, it will only cause problems when you don't need them--in the middle of a storm.

We have been welding the 'catch wings' on scraper edges for years. Only time we had a problem was when Boss had a bad batch of edges go through.

We did go with a custom made 3/4" thick scraper edge after a while, though. We were going through 2 sets of edges a year with the stock Boss 1/2". 3/4" doubled the life. Now we use all urethane edges.