1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"World Ice Art Championships", in Fairbanks, Alaska

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I took a trip this past weekend to Fairbanks, Alaska for a number of reasons, but one of the things I did, was to visit the 2009 edition of the "World Ice Art Championships" , an ice-carving competition that attracts teams from around the globe, and is hailed to be the finest found anywhere in the world. Ice carving was added as an event to the Winter Olympics a number of years ago, and this is the premier qualifier for American & Canadian ice carvers. Fairbanks, Alaska, has the best, clearest ice found anywhere in the world for this, and use the biggest blocks of ice of any competition anywhere. The main categories are single-block, and muti-block entries, and the single blocks are blocks of ice 3'x5'x8' tall, and weigh approx 25 tons each. Special ice cutting machines & forklifts have been designed just for this event. All the ice is taken from local gravel pits, and because of the water quality, clarity, and the lack of cracking because of the extreme temps that this water freezes, it provides a quality of ice found no where else, according to the carvers themselves. It is so clear that a newspaper can be read thru a 4 foot block of this ice,....

ice 93 (Small).JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And since 2009 is the 50th anniversary of statehood for Alaska, there was a strong emphasis on celebrating the half-century birthday of Alaska as the 49th state admitted to the US,... one display was carved with William Egan, the first governor of the state, on the left, and our current governor, Sarah Palin on the right.

ice 1 (Small).JPG

ice 88 (Small).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I took a ton of pictures, (over 100), and I don't know how many I'll post, but for sure, none of them do justice to any of the carvings,... there were a lot of smaller "play areas" for the kids,... from ice mazes to ice slides of all types,....

ice 3 (Small).JPG

ice 2 (Small).JPG

ice 5 (Small).JPG

ice 4 (Small).JPG

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Temps are still plenty cold (well below zero at night), so the carvings are holding up real good. I only took pictures of a few of the single-block entries, but here's a sample of what's been done this year,... including a few odd-ball things scattered all over the place, such as this real-working ice phone booth,...

ice 90 (Small).JPG

ice 91 (Small).JPG

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

All the entries in the competition were named, but I can't possibly remember them all,... but the first one here was called "Northern Lights",... the second is "Moonlight Sonata"

ice 6 (Small).JPG

ice 7 (Small).JPG

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The ice park is in an area of town that has a lot of trees left, to help provide shade for the carvings, as just sunlight, even when still below zero, can erode some the the fine detail on these exibits,... these first section of pictures have all been carved from a single block of ice,... and the carvers have 60 hours to complete their work,....

ice 8 (Small).JPG

ice 9 (Small).JPG

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And many exhibits have large black tarps hung to further help keep sunlight off the carvings,.... this first one is 2 muskoxen standing on top of each other, and the 2nd is "Reunion", done by a Chinese group.

ice 10 (Small).JPG

ice 11 (Small).JPG

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And every exhibit also has multi-colored flood lights pointed at them from various positions, which make these carvings at night a real spectacle to behold,.... but pictures taken at night just don't turn out like I wish they would,... here's a T-Rex, and a skateboarder,...

ice 12 (Small).JPG

ice 14 (Small).JPG

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

A small dozer with plow blade, and something from a California group,... (who knows what that is,..... :dizzy:)

ice 15 (Small).JPG

ice 18 (Small).JPG

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Sometimes it helped to take several pictures from slightly different angles to help get the 3-D effect of how intricante some of these carvings are,... this is some goddess riding a cat-dragon,.... remember, this is carved from a single block of ice,... such a shame that it will soon turn into a puddle of water,... :eek:

ice 16 (Small).JPG

ice 17 (Small).JPG

11. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

"Escaping Death",... an eagle head, with rabbits running the other way,.... and "Conquering Hunger", some type of eagle-demon catching a salmon,....

ice 19 (Small).JPG

ice 20 (Small).JPG

12. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

"Eternal Flame" (French),.... and "Tranquillity",... (Thailand)

ice 21 (Small).JPG

ice 22 (Small).JPG

13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This one was really cool.... a kingfisher at the moment of catching a small fish,.... with water still running off the tips of it's wings, etc..... (Japanese)

ice 23 (Small).JPG

ice 24 (Small).JPG

14. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

"The tree of Life" (USA),..... and the "Spirit of Spring" (Chinese)

ice 26 (Small).JPG

ice 27 (Small).JPG

15. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

"Spring",.... (Great Britain) and "Evolution",..... (Mongolia)

ice 82 (Small).JPG

ice 30 (Small).JPG

16. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

"Invitation to Life" (Chinese), and "Adam & Eve" (Russia)

ice 79 (Small).JPG

ice 83 (Small).JPG

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I have a ton more, but now I'll show the multi-block exhibits,.... these are the "featured" exhibits,... they can have a team of up to 4 members and up to 12 blocks of ice, and each team has 110 hours to complete their work.

First one is "Finder's Keeper's"... 2 eagles fighting over a fish.

Second one is "Do I feel Lucky?" A guy temping an alligator with a couple fish.

ice 86 (Small).JPG

ice 87 (Small).JPG

ice 28 (Small).JPG

ice 29 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  18. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This one is called "Sea Life".... and features a marlin breaching. These can be as high as 25 feet tall! (it was hard to get this next group in the view-finder of the camera, because they were so large)

ice 31 (Small).JPG

ice 32 (Small).JPG

19. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This was really cool too,... "They Call Her Spirit" (Romania),.... features 3 huge stallions,.... :eek:

ice 34 (Small).JPG

ice 33 (Small).JPG

ice 35 (Small).JPG

20. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Mythology seems to be a big hit with ice carvers every year,... "Guardian Angel" (USA)

ice 51 (Small).JPG

ice 50 (Small).JPG

ice 49 (Small).JPG