1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Works spread sheet help

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Proscapez LLC, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I have written all my business forms and spread sheets in Works.
    Now all my pages and formulas are working.
    My question is can I link seperate spread sheets together?
    Like when I create a new invoice, if will fill in my "invoice report" spread sheet.
    Kind of like linking pages in on a website?
  2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Are you referring to different spreadsheets that you have in different files? If so the simple answer is no.

In Excel (and I assume the same in works), there are tabs at the bottom were you can create different sheets (one for each tab), from there you can reference them cells to each page your spreadsheet.
  3. Proscapez LLC

Thats what I'm asking.
    I cant find pages in works spread sheets like in excel.
    Maybe if I look under works data base?

I'm just to cheap to spend $400 on office
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure about Works, but in Excel you can link spreadsheets together.
    Just can't move them from their location afterwards.

just do a = and then move the mouse to the field in teh other spreadsheet and it will fill it right in.

Again, this is Excel, and you might have to break down and get it. :cry:
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Lawns & More, most college bookstores offer the full Office version for less than half of what you find in stores. I also use Excel for my records and, though I don't know AS much as I should about it, the software does a great job for me using formulas & such.
  6. Proscapez LLC

I've been told you have to prove your a student when you register it, and I can't use my 5 year old.
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

So don't register it! And define "student." Can anyone make a case that institutional education is the only way we learn, or that we're not all students taking part in learning each time we read something new? I'm not grasping at straws, just trying to make things easier for people.

I don't recall my purchase of Office in '99 requiring anything about being a student. "Personal" or "Business" use is a listed option in the registration, but the Microsoft police aren't chasing after Lawns & More for buying a legitimate copy of their product. Just don't make copies for your buddies or share your version with others.
  8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

='[6_7_4 SPRs to be Verified.xls]chart data'!$O179

the name of the other worksheet is 6_7_4 SPRs to be Verified.xls
    the "chart data" is the name of the tab on that worksheet

9. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Here goes, Works and excel spreadsheets are not the same thing. As far as linking I am not positive but I am thinking its not possible.

The student versions you need a teacher to sign off that you need it for "academic purposes" That is what I did 10 years ago when I took some college courses.

If you don't register the program within 20 uses it becomes disabled - Microsoft is famous for doing that.

For a free alternative to Microsoft products that do work, are quite powerful, and priced right - free. Try openoffice.org. Its based on Sun's staroffice its an opensource project meaning programmers collaborate to write the program - it seems pretty stable and does all I ask of it. I have both office and openoffice on my computer.
  10. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Considering that most of us use less then 10% of the features in any Microsoft Office product openoffice.org is an excellent solution. :)
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I will just ditto what the others have said. Works and Excel do not operate the same; Excel has many more capacities.

I will also add that Microsoft and Corel (usually through Dell) are quite known for offering what they call "demo or trial' packages when purchasing a computer. It will give you the program for a certain amount of days, however, it will become a "read only" program afterwards until you completely buy the program.

I have not heard about openoffice.org, but it sounds very interesting and something to look into.