1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

workmen's comp

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Precision Lawn, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

If I owner a business and I'm a subcontractor for a company to remove snow and I hire someone to driver my trucks do I need workmen's comp. Someone told me if I have less then 5 employee working for me seasonal I don't need it. Does anyone know what the law is in Maryland
    Thank You
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i believe workmans comp insurance is about 7% of your sales. might be a good idea. i think you only dont have to have it if you are the sole employee. call your insurance co.
  3. DJL

DJL Senior Member

The rules and regulations vary from state to state. Look on your state's website or wherever to find out who to speak to for specific answers.
  4. GreatBigTuna

GreatBigTuna Member

Workmans Comp is required for employees. You can check out http://www.wcc.state.md.us/ for information about Marylands workers comp law.

I just got mine through IWIF (http://www.ifiw.com), and the fastest way to get it is to go to their office in Towson. An agent or broker will take 2 weeks and doing it over the phone takes 30 days (go figure). Anyhow, the rate is based off of your payroll amount, so if you are just getting it for plowing, you will probably pay the minimum. I think mine was around $600. Figured I could shed some light since I just went through it.
  5. mickman

mickman Senior Member

I carry comp. not on me because I'm corperate officer of corporation.
    I do carry it for 2 part-time employees.
  6. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

Thanks to all