1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Working with ferrandino and son

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mp1127, Feb 8, 2014.

1. mp1127

mp1127 Junior Member
    from ct

This is my first year dealing with this company, I'm responsible for snow removal at a shopping plaza through them. I have yet to receive one payment from them for services beginning in early December. I'm passed their 45 day mark for payment. Does anybody have any experience working with these guys? Should I be worried? I've been 100% compliant so far with insurance, work orders, getting things done on time etc. I've invested a lot of working capital here and feel like I'm getting burned. Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well they have a bad rap on not paying

I pass on one bid this year Walgreens Well another company took it on Plowed it in Dec and Jan and they never got a payment for Dec So they stop plowing. In Feb different company started plowing it now. He was told about not getting paid from other company. So we ill see if he gets paid

3. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

You will most likely get paid but they will jerk you around for a while to give themselves some extra time to come up with the money. Ferrandino is a horrible company to be a sub for. I will never work for them again

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

It sort of makes sense..... some of these companies get the big contracts but are too small and can't bankroll them until they get their money. I only have about 17 employees and with 7 events in about 28 days I can barely bankroll it so I can imagine what it's like for them..YIKES !!!!!

5. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

I was always under the impression that these larger companies get paid say on Dec 30 by walgreens for december services, then get paid on january 30 for january services, then pay you by end of february but wait to pay you because they collect a little interest on the money large amounts of money that sits in their accounts for a few months at a time. Think about it from a national's perspective, all that interest probably adds up.

6. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Have you contacted them?? Get an answer or quit before you get buried.

7. mp1127

mp1127 Junior Member
    from ct

I've been in contact with them, everytime I call they promise a check next week. Well we're now on the 5th next week. I think I'm going to lawyer up on this one. Thanks for all the info guys!

8. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Our company collects a month later...so they will bill Decembers work Jan. 1st with payment due by Feb. 1st. So like last week they got paid for December work.....March 1st they will get paid for January work, etc.

It has caught a lot of smaller companies this year........takes deep pockets to pay and wait.

9. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

I plowed with a company that was subbing for ECO or whatever theyre called and I know they were like 90 days behind on payment. He got his last payment in July. You're right though, lots of smaller companies can't cash flow on these high snow years.

10. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

Mp: what account are you doing for them in CT?

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I don't want to kick you when you're down but did you do any research on them before you signed their contract? If you type their name into the search box on this site you'll find dozens (possibly hundreds) of posts from contractors who haven't been paid by them.

Next time you agree to work for a management company do some homework and it could save you a lot of headaches. Good luck, I hope you get paid soon.

12. precisioncare

precisioncare Junior Member
    from NY

I had the same problem, promise...promise...promise. It took about 5-6 weeks of their crap and I finally got paid. My contract is NET 45 with them and it was about 68 days before I got my first check. So I have started the process again in hopes that dec plowing services will be paid on feb 15 as it is supposed to.

The contract I have with them pays avg. for my area nothing special but not losing my a** like some, what I don't understand is how are they not in "breech of contract" by not paying within the said 45 days?

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Because I bet there's language in your contract that gives them leniency to pay you whenever they want (or possibly to not pay you at all). That's how they operate.

I see that you just joined this site last month so you're probably not aware that these types of issues pop up constantly around here. Type Ferrandino into the search box in the upper right hand corner of the screen and start reading. Keep in mind that many of the threads about them have been deleted so what you're going to find is only a small portion of the overall total.

14. precisioncare

precisioncare Junior Member
    from NY

Will do thanks

15. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

16. atlanta55

atlanta55 Junior Member
    from indy

I have been told that they sit on the money they collect and they earn interest on it and they hold the contractors off until they absolutely have to pay. Word in Indy is getting around quick, they are going through contractors really fast. I have received a few checks but nothing close to the amount still owed. Some contractors around here are talking about a class action lawsuit, and some are talking about putting liens on the buildings which will force legal expense for Ferrandino. They use the compliance thing a lot by saying you are not in compliance, but my take is that , when it snows I am in compliance enough to perform the services, so therefore I am in compliance enough for you to pay me.

17. atlanta55

atlanta55 Junior Member
    from indy

They owe guys around here in area 30,000 to 50,000...just for snow removal this winter.

18. L.R.G

L.R.G Junior Member

Know the felling........My Friend plows a couple lots for Ferrandino & Son Contractors and is getting the same run around. He has invoices that are 65+ days old and is on a 45 day payout with them and they keep saying Friday! That was 3 weeks ago and NOT 1 CENT PAID! and he has gone to the company that owns the property and they said checks are cashed and cleared so no reason he shouldn't have gotten paid.He said he'd stop plowing and they laughed.But i'm sure that's what they want him to do so they dont have to pay.These Big property management companies are playing games because they have the little guys by the balls!Now my friend has to get his lawyer involved and fight to get his money total B.S They owe him close to 50k and if you guys down in indy do a class action he wants in!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  19. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

If some company owed me $50k for anything and wasn't paying, I would be sitting in their lobby waiting to see the owner. I would likely go to jail to collect it.

20. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I've gotten a handful of calls from them wanting snow removal. I lead them on to believe they might have another, then drop the bomb on them and let them that I know exactly how they operate and let loose on them.

I can honestly say that I would never partake in working for a national EVER, so there's a good chance I'll never get stiffed for 50K. I hope you guys get your money but I truly think at best you'll break even, IF you're lucky.