1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

working on the K5

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by IMAGE, Nov 2, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

still havent got a plow for it, but hey its got a motor now!

Just put a tbi350 in my K5, should be hooked up and running tomarrow. Its been a treat working on this rusty beast to say the least. I just got some new shoes for her too. Think I will just take the topper off and enclose the cab/back.

Not sure on what plow I'll get on her, could get a 860hd Blizzard for $3800 or a Boss 8'2" V for $5k. I could use a V, but not sure that I need it.

Sorry I didnt get pics. I will try to post some this week. Its a shocker, stay tuned.:drinkup:
  2. dmax08

dmax08 Senior Member

The 8.2 might be to much for the k5.. those units are pretty heavy.. We put a 8.0 straight on a 1/2 ton short box... thats all it wanted..
  3. jhakarter

jhakarter Member

hope it goes good for ya steve.. I was gunna take my boss out a buddys shop last nite to switch cutting edges, so i have the new style boss ones.. needless to say we never made it, it overheated which i think is pretty much all my fault being the plow was blockin all the air to the rad. and it was still 60 or so out.. o well live and learn, have to try it again this week and leave the plow down a lil haha.
  4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I have a friend running the exact same setup as I am building, except he has softride springs. It handles it great, but moves around a bit on the springs. This is a pretty well built K5. You'll just have to wait for pics :D All I can say is my main problem will be seeing the blade... I'm gonna need some tall whips.

Yeah Josh it did that with my 2500hd to. Had to run with it almost rubbing tar to make it. I got a new fan clutch that is supposed to cure it, but havent tried it yet.
  5. jhakarter

jhakarter Member

Haha ya now I dont feel quite as bad. You see the forcast for this week... Who knows how much if any well get but hey its in the forcast haha.
  6. jhakarter

jhakarter Member

O hey steve, if your looking for a boss v, not sure if you have checked berts lately, but earlier this fall they had a used 8-2 for sale for like 3 grand or something? Cant remember the exact price i was lookin at it before i got my trucks.. just figured id let ya know.
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

k5 won't handle a plow that big. Not just the front springs, the wheelbase and overall weight is not enough. I drove a k5 with a 6 inch lift, 33s and a 8 foot Fisher, it was a lousy setup. Driving uphill it would spin the tires because there wasn't enough weight on them. Didn't sag at all in front, that wasn't the problem. Only plus to a Blazer is the short wheelbase is good for manuevering, but you don't have enough beef in the axles to support any real weight or turn much rubber.
  8. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I switched an 8 footer to a 9er on my 90K5 a few yrs ago , it was just used and sat at the lot but the front end dropped about a half inch with the 8 footer and the 9er not much more, dont know why but the front was solid and tuff...great turning radius too.
  9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Just ran into a bunch of rust on the floor. Was pulling the bucket seats out to put a new bench seat in and found the floor is rotten. Time to decide if I am gonna fix the floor or pull the blazer body off and just throw a truck cab on. I know where there is a nice cab at. But its a pain switching everything over...

I put on offer on a 8.2 V XT today at my distributor, they said they will let me know tomarrow.
  10. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Well called around and cant find a rust free truck cab anywhere nearby, so entered "K5" on craigslist and found a 1992(new body style) Blazer for cheap. Got it for $800 and in decent shape, even has a 6 disc cd changer. It doesnt have the built up driveline that my 88 K5 has, so I am gonna put a 7'6" Boss V on it.

Decided I am gonna pull the body off my rusted out 88 and finish the conversion to mud truck only. Gonna throw a tiny mazda body on it, heck maybe not even a body, maybe just a rollbar, seatbelts and a seat. Make it a helmet and goggles mud truck :D (its got 4:88 gears and Auburn limited slips front and rear, to spin the 37" Iroqs :) )
  11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Well I got a Boss V 7.6 for the K15 Blazer today. $4950 OTD assembled with smartlocks but I install the truck side mount. Seemed like a good price, at least the best they would do lol. Got it from Berts Truck Equipment. I still cant believe how much they get for this little Boss plow, I could of got another 810 for the same price...

Anyways, I'll get the truck side on this weekend and pick up the blade monday or tuesday. I'll be sure to get you addicts some good pics :)