1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Working for friends....

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by andcon83, Dec 28, 2009.

1. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

How do you guys handle working for friends? I hate to charge to much, but I hate to work for nothing.

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!1

run away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I do it and get paid well for it too hey he rather have me show up on time do the job right than some **** up and end up paying him the same

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Set your friendship aside, and let it be known that while working for him, it is a business thing only. Friendship can start again after the work day is done. If you can't both agree to do that then run and don't look back.

5. RSR_NH

RSR_NH Member

I agree. I usually quote the driveway as if were a stranger, and knock a few bucks off, depending on how close of a friend they are ;)

6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Friends want each other to succeed, so it can be a win-win for everyone. If you as a sub charge a reasonable rate that covers your expenses & gives you an honest wage, then he should be willing to deal with that knowing that you're likely to do a good job for him to make him some money as well.

7. Ozone

Ozone Member

I've learnt my lessons, as I no longer work for friends. I've lost thousands (in my profession) over the years, and I've had enough.

To make a long story short, the guy I normally plow for, pays me through one of my best friends. Well guess who didn't get his money for last year from his best friend?

Yep..you got it..ME!

See my friend must of gotten into financial trouble, and took money that belonged to me. It would of been better for him to be honest up front, then lie to me for a year.

Well our first snow fall this year, his truck is in the shop and guess who he calls to bail him out? Yep you got it..me.

I didn't want to be a dick to him, and have him lose accounts, but he had to come up with half my money that he owed, AND I pocket all money from the snow storm from his personal accounts that I plow for him.

He's got a month to pay for the lots I plowed, before I take things into my own hands.

My father said it best when he said.."Son, there is no such thing as a true friend".

8. paradise1229

paradise1229 Senior Member

All I can say is have to be real careful. If they screwed people over before, they may do the same with you. Most of the time I turn it down.

9. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I like this.

10. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

just carry a big stick and dont be afraid to use it, give him a good brain duster, LOL !!!