1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Working for a friend???????

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by woodacres, Jan 30, 2007.

1. woodacres

woodacres Junior Member

I have been working for a friend doing all his salting......SO I THOUGHT......he has been doing the salting himself ONLY when it is convenient for him like when the wifes not working and the kids are off to school etc. Meanwhile I am sitting at home, he has turned into a Jekyl & Hyde this year due to the light snow falls and the fact that he lost over half of his contracts this year. I have been giving him a super rate for the last 3 years which is $65.00 per hour for my tandem dually. I feel that he owes me a little more respect, I too have bills to pay. Besides when we do get a snow fall that is pushable he calls me out only because he cannot keep up with both the plowing & salting. I guess my 1st mistake was working for a friend & my 2nd was not having a contract. I have been thinking of charging him a new rate of $85.00 seeing that I consider my self as a sub for him. What is anybody's take on this?

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Is that all you have is a salt truck?
    Do you have any of your own accounts?
    I would do the same If there was no money comming in, think about it he has no money comming how can he pay you you'll both have to work things out in a slow year.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Changing the game plan mid-season is not really a good idea. Just next year draw up an agreement that works for you. Working for friends without contracts almost always ends up sour.

Just tell him in the late summer you are trying to move your business to the next level and your friends business will have to be scheduled into yours and thats why you need the contract stating how much and when along with terms of payment.

4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Above

Working with Friends or Relatives almost always turns out bad...I bet if you took a survey there are more bad deals than good ones...
    I did two deals at different times(Big deals,over six figures) On a hand shake, one with a relative and one with a friend of five years and I ended up loosing large on both deals.While my partners One walked away making allot of money and one walked away not loosing anything...The second is the reason for me getting out of the trucking business....Live and learn...
    Business is Business charge your friend what you would bid anyone else and get it in writing for next season.

5. payton

payton Senior Member

i wouldnt even hire my own brother in law if i had to. worthless lazy ass. i konw its not the same.. but friends, family and bussiness should never be in the same sentence! and if you must add friends,family in bussiness then there needs to be a clearly defined contract!

6. go plow

go plow Senior Member

listen to these guys they know what they are talking about!
    i had my brother inlaw for a partner for about 3 years, didnt want to work, wanted all the income, didnt understand why he didnt have the money to pay taxes, sour sour deal, now even with my freinds in the biz. i simply dont charge, if i need help on day, they help me, when they need it, im there for them also, but no money involved unless they need me long term., this keeps it simple ,and friendly... what i would do is just put up with it for the rest of this year, next year tell him in writing what you want. if not i would go out and get your own jobs, or just make a deal with him, the jobs that he cant handle or doesnt want anymore tell him to send your way and if you get any jobs that you cant handle starting out, sent his way,you might end up will some bad accounts but its a start. even if you dont get anything from him, it kinda tells him that your not cutting him out its just that you need to move on and grow ! hope that helps....

7. woodacres

woodacres Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate all your input. And I have decided not to change the game plan up this year, but next year I will definently work on getting a contract etc.

8. RICHIE K

RICHIE K Member
    from NJ

One thing I have learned is not to do work for family and friends and I straight out tell the to keep the peace I wound do work

9. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Working for a friend is not a good idea. Even with a contract it doesn't seem to work out. I did this for a while. We had a contract but I would let things slide because we were friends. I started to resent things that were going on and it ruined our friendship.

This was just as much my fault for not pointing out the things that happened that were not in line with the contract. Instead I let things build up to the point I started to resent him.

Just not worth it in the long run.