1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

working as a sub

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by quick decision, Feb 21, 2013.

1. quick decision

quick decision Junior Member

How long should I have bc to wait before getting paid. I plowed during Nemo and the contracter who has the account (it's a national account) is playing games. What recourse do I have?
  2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Do you have anything in writing? A time card? Proof you serviced said property? Give us some background information.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What do you mean a by a National Account? Any National Management Company is usually going to be 30 to 45 days till you get paid. All my Commercial accounts are net 30 for payment.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A good contractor will pay fast, But some guys will not pay out till they get the money. So if it takes them 30-60 to get paid ,it could be 90 days before you get yours.
  5. quick decision

Nothing in writing. I think he will eventually pay. I didn't relize the turn around time on his end. Its just frusterating.
  6. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

If you get paid when he gets paid it could be 60-90 days before you see any money. I have been in your shoes and it sucks. Sucks worse while you wait for your money the guy you worked for brags of the big screen tv and surround sound he just bought for cash.
  7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I pay my subs when they invoice for the work.
    To hold off until he's paid is pretty weak IMO.
  8. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Agreed. Cash flow inequalities like this are just part of the business and should be planned for
  9. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Most companies that are established should have enough in reserve to compensate employees and sub contractors prior to them getting their receivables...most should pay within 30 days...
  10. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I pay out weekly for the prior weeks work.
    I've got excellent subs and I want to keep them happy.
  11. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

As a sub should be what you guys agreed to before you started to work for him
    If you did not have a contract then it's when ever he can
    I would call him and ask him
  12. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Like others have said, it comes down to your agreement.

I don't really think there is anything wrong with a contractor waiting until he is paid to then pay his sub-contractors, IF that is what was agreed on at the start of the relationship. Not that anyone likes getting paid 30-45 days out, but if its agreed upon, then why not?

This can work for some people, but might not work for others. But I really don't see any "standard" in terms of when a contractor should pay a sub.

If you have no contract, no paperwork, then good luck. Its pretty much up to him at that point.

I don't really sub any work. I have in the past for certain scenarios, but not on a regular basis. I have also been a sub in the past on certain sites. I have been paid on a regular schedule, and have also had to wait till they get paid for me to get paid.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I don't pay by the week, month or when I get paid. The subs working for me get paid the same day I get the Invoice. I have some accounts that play the " you don't get paid until we get paid" game and that takes up to 90 days. But that's OK because they pay more for the same job because I know how they pay. Thumbs Up
  14. quick decision

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
  15. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

What National company operates with out a contract in place? Never do a deal like that,
    did they call you in the middle of the storm because there contractor dropped the ball?

Save any voice mails from them, threaten them about trashing there name. Fill out the paperwork for small claims court and send it to them. That usually works for me, I'm always dragging low lifes to court.
  16. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

He is a sub for a guy who has the contract with the national
  17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So he's a sub of a sub of a sub? lol.