1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

working around cars in parking lots...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Sep 24, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Just signed up my first commercial (small parking lot), and working on my second.

I obviously will have them cleared and salted before business hours but how do you plow if we get 4" mid-day and the lot is full? half full? Its a 16 car parking lot (rectangle), no islands or crap in the way.

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

You just do the best that you can :rolleyes: The most important spots are the disabled spots, lanes, and exits and entrances. If it is snowing REALLY hard bust in there clean out is much as you can pushing the snow out of the lanes. Make sure you angle the blade in when running down lanes or you will pack a hole bunch of snow under the other cars in the lot (people just don't like that :rolleyes: ). If you really need to, start back dragging spots that works to but can be very difficult in a small crowded lot.

So all and all do the best you can an clean-up at night ;)

3. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on the lot size and the amount of cars. If the place is packed with cars and traffic dont mess with the parking spots. Its pretty dangerous with traffic to be back dragging out parking spots. Like Grass said clean out the handicaps but dont mess with the rest. Clean out the threw fares and entrance/exits thats it. Salt goes for the same, but put your normal amount down in the same area's you plowed. Dont get cheap and short em. Its amazing what the extra salt can burn off and then nobody will get shorted.
    These rules of thumb may not apply to all situations but are pretty good idea what to do. Again not to change the subject but this is were a v, blizzard 810 or wings can save you alot of grief. If the lots are empty or closed pushem clean.
    Oh and if you see a storm heading your way for daytime hours "PRETREAT" with salt, its money well spent and will make cleanup easier.
    Hope this may help.
    Todd

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  4. snoking

snoking Senior Member

as far as charging a push is a push....
    we charge full trip during the day...mught be doing less but may still take as long, and then charge for the night return UNLESS we plowed more than 2 times that day then i throw the cleanup in....

5. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Sometimes it works best to plow Hotel/Motels during the middle of the day because that is checkout time. I have one that checkout is at 11:00 AM and one at noon. I only hit those accounts at that time unless it is snowing like crazy and I have time to just knock the heavy stuff off their lot. It all boils down to what the manager expects.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

like has been said just try to keep the lanes, exits and entrances open. junt really watch out. people are stupid to begin with and dont watch out for plows. they will back out in front of you when you are pushing along.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I could'nt agree more..

8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

people just dont understand were out there for them....i hate when they park in an area youre attempting to clear just enough so you cant finish

9. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

you just go there and open it up thats all that needs to be done during that time of day. :waving:

10. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

thanks for the replies everyone!

11. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

SALT.....Its the remedy to all day snows.

last season we melted down an 8 inch day storm on an 6 acre parking lot with just salt....didnt even drop a blade once, but used about 40+ tons of salt

Before you guys go off on a wing and think im the craziest guy out there :dizzy: Let me exlian the situation

We take care of the corporate HQ for a large health Ins. company and the day just happen to be the day that all the board members from around the contry get together and discuss what ever it is they disscuss......
    The facility manager told us he didnt care what it took but he wanted the lot clear at alltimes to impress the big wigs.....So that is what we did....i had a 5 yrd dump on site along with 2 side walk guys who laid about 2 pallets of CC

We had so many people think we were crazy....but it was all worth it

But on another note we do Salt away alot of day snows....expecially at doctors offices.

But as far as our class B work its just main drags, entrance ways, walkways, loading docks, and handi-cap...until they close then we go in for a full push

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have to be alert and careful when you plow active lots in daylight. People walk out in front of you, they pull out, creep up behind you and worse of all little kids running around. I bust out the entrances and lanes first,then try to lure people into cleared areas I make first. It never works idiot's still park right where I am working.

13. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Man I agree. There is nothing that attracts idiots faster than a snow plow on a pickup or ATV. I have had people actually sit and watch what I am doing for about 10 min then park right where I am piling snow. I just pile snow around them. After they dig their car out they don't park in my way again.