1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worker Pay

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, just wondering. What do you pay your plow drivers, that drive your truck. I pay mine $15/hr, but I'm giving him a raise to $18/hr. Does this sound low or high? Thanks.

2. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

That seems more than fair to me. As long as they are decent operators and don't tear everything up they touch

3. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I pay my most experienced guy $25/hr to operate one of my trucks. I offer him a end of the season bonus if he avoids any damage.

4. Brant'sLawnCare

He does a great job. And he is a good worker. I just want to be fair to both of us. Money has been tight lately, that's why I'm wondering.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I am at 18 an hour for my best guy w/ bonus at end of season as well. New guys start at 10, and proven guys average 15.

6. jkrak

jkrak Junior Member
    from midwest

I agree, 15 is a good wage. If he is reliable, fast and safe- keep him happy.

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Yeah he is, and he knows the route, and is in charge of a few employees. It's going to be his last year working for me though. He's going to college next year. I'm gonna miss him.

8. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We around around 16 a hour but there are only 3 people that are not company owners or sub contracted trucks.

9. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

my head guy is raking in $21.00 / hour. but, he's my right hand man and heads his own 6 man crew, so that's why i pay him a little more. the rest of my plow guys range from 14.00 to 19.00 depending on responsibility, dependability and capability.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

$20-$32/hour......plus a weekly standby for 20 weeks.

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

He11 Dave I'll come work for you for $32/hr. I pay $15

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$15/hour here. $40 if they use their own equip.

13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Weekly stand by ????

14. Brant'sLawnCare

Well it sounds like I am about average then. I just wanted to check and make sure I was being fair to both parties.

15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Brant, since we're all working in the same area (s/e WI) I would assume pay should be similar. Joe's rate is close to what alot of guys pay good drivers in Milwaukee. I'm at $20 for everyone including shovel crews. Face it, if you bang my truck up and hit things. I don't want you.

Now, for $32 hr. plus stand by pay; I just might head up by "JD Dave".

16. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I get 65/hr for my trucks and 20/hr for operating his equiptment. i also work for this guy all sumer too so.

17. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Stand By. I get what it is, but what do you base it on? Is it just enough to keep them on, or is it enough for them make a living at? I'm not looking for numbers. Just your train of thought.

18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'm a sub myself, but I pay my subs anywhere from $45-55 depending on truck and blade. My guys make $20-25 cash to sit in my trucks. I make good money with the trucks, why chinse on paying good help that deserves it. My 1 guy is going to be moving into one of my Dmaxes with a V. He's going to jump to $25 as soon as he does.

19. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

My top guy makes 20/hour and the lowest makes 10.50/hour. Would say average for my guys are 14=16 per hour.

20. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Seriously wth!

You pay a guy who might be out in the cold for 20 to 30 hours straight $15 to drive a truck. You pay a guy who is using his own truck $40 an hour are you guys scamming or something. We get anywhere from $65 to $95 an hour for a truck, $110 an hour for bobcat work. We start everybody off at $18 plus 20 with some experience and $25 to $30 for good experience. Holy crap you guys are cheap.