1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Worker Comp

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by C&H Plowing, Sep 16, 2010.

1. C&H Plowing

C&H Plowing Member

Is there another way around this worker comp? If I have some employees working for me and I have them sign a paper that if they injure themselves while working I will not be liable. And if I go to the worker comp office and tell them that I need a poloci just to show that you have workers comp for the co. that you work with, its like $10 for 6 mo. What do you guys think? Can I get away with it?
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Can you get away with it? yes. Does a piece of paper absolve you from being liable? Nope. Especially not in th case of death. Then the drivers estate can sue ya. Do it right, or do something else. Not trying to sound like a tool, but if ya ain't gonna have the right insurance, etc.......you're not a professional. You're part of the problem.
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

What he said +...
    Put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself if you would agree to something stupid like that.
  4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

WOW. I can't believe how well you both put it. Agree with above!
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

In MN, you can get away with not having workers comp. Of course, the state only fines you $1000 per week, per employee. Workers comp is a lot cheaper. :nod:

Really, you shouldn't even be thinking twice about covering your employees, it's mandatory for good reason. If you're struggling with the cost, you're not charging enough.
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Unbelievable. You have zero consideration for your workers or their families.

Shame on you....
  7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Don't wanna pay for workmans comp ...You might save a Dollar today..But, its gonna end up costing you 10 down the road....If you want to be a Professional and Legit contractor i would suggest getting the policy.....:nod:
  8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't really believe this is an honest question. Or if it is that someone would be willing to post something like this in a public forum. WOW :nono::realmad:
  9. polarvend

polarvend Junior Member
    from Alaska

Hi I am new to being an employer.. I plan to hire two drivers for this winter, but I am not sure exactly what all I need to do as far as workers comp, taxes, etc..
    If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, I want to do it right, but I've never done it..
    Is it just workers comp I need to plan on paying, or are there other costs of having employees?
    Thanks. Jeff
  10. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

There is a local builder here that has 4 employees and they are all subs so he does'nt have to pay work mans comp. but they have to carry insurance and he has to have a copy on file. So he found a loop hole not the way I would do business but he gets away with it and he goes threw alot of employees. :nono:
  11. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

He is only getting away with it because no one got hurt. I can assure you if some one got hurt or worse yet died they would file suit and win. If it looks like an employee, walks and talks like an employee ITS and EMPLOYEE not a sub contractor all the wavers and liability insurance certificates don't mean squat.

All the wanna be fraudulent business owners should really read up on the law and whats in it for them. Having works comp prevents any employee from being able to sue you, even if your negligent and responsible for their injuries. Try that with a 1099 almost employee
  12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Comp is just another insurance.. you pay it like you do your GL policy... call your carrier and get a comp quote. Get a payroll company (even with only 4 employees) It will save you a ton of time and possible penalities if you don't file correctly or on time. Best $ spent IMO is paying a service to do your payroll. AND ITS EASY!
  13. wizardsr

Perfect response!

The payroll service is a biggie, paychex is who we use. It's all of $50/month up to 5 employees, and they take care of all the with-holdings, filing the taxes for you, and everything is paperless including direct deposit. It makes being an employer so much easier.

As far as work comp, contact your GL insurance carrier. More than likely, being a new employer, they're going to deny you coverage, which then forces you onto a state assigned risk plan, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. For me it was a fairly smooth process.
  14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I hate paychex but still use them anyhow because they provide my comp insurance. It makes putting up with them worth it, no estimated premium, no estimated payments, no worries about underestimating and getting smacked at audit or over estimating and paying for insurance I don't need
  15. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

In New York if you are any kind of corp., s-corp. etc.............state law requires you to have a workers comp. policy in effect EVEN IF you have no employees ! Not sure on single prop. businesses or others tho!
  16. wizardsr

Why? I've had a good experience with them. Anything I should know?
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Your employees cannot sign away their right to sue particularly if you are trying to enforce what is basically an illegal contract since W/C is a federal law therefore you could not write a contract that would be a binding document. W/C is a fixed state rate based on various job categories, any carrier can write you a policy based on your expected payroll. If you are paying federal, state and SS on payroll you need to have W/C it is a law.
  18. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

To save a dollar today is spending ten tomorrow. Could work out for you not having it for a few years. But that one year you need it you will spend all the money you saved +
  19. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This cannot possibly be a serious question.

AMAZING. You're calling yourself an business person/employer?
  20. marinablue66

marinablue66 Junior Member
    from CT

thats a great point and it goes with everything not just insurance. Good call